Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: chuckn on February 04, 2016, 02:23:55 pm

Title: Goats
Post by: chuckn on February 04, 2016, 02:23:55 pm
Lancaster, Ohio fair grounds goat building.

Chuck
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: RSL on February 04, 2016, 02:47:14 pm
What, exactly, did you see in the viewfinder that you thought was interesting, Chuck?
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: TomFrerichs on February 04, 2016, 03:00:04 pm
If I were a betting man I'd say that Chuck's eye was caught by the strong graphic lines in the image.  If that's true, then I think it might be stronger if the bottom were cropped and burned in.  The detail there is, to me, uninteresting and competes with the angles in the upper part of the image.  I might also be tempted to crop on the right to get rid of the small, trapped, bright triangle.
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: chuckn on February 04, 2016, 03:06:17 pm
What, exactly, did you see in the viewfinder that you thought was interesting, Chuck?

Fair enough; 1) geometric shapes of the shadows, 2) framing of the "goat" building against the shapes, 3) reminded me of a Andrew Wyeth type scene.

Chuck
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: RSL on February 04, 2016, 03:30:42 pm
Okay. I think you got what you were after.
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: luxborealis on February 06, 2016, 08:05:06 am
Don't change it!

I love this photo. Finally, something on this forum that is more subtle and contemplative and not "in your face" touristy (as so many are, mine included!) This makes one think and look and appreciate the subtleties of the place all presented in a compelling graphic design.

Some will look at this and say "Who cares?" I look at it and say "Wonderful!" It's a photographer's photograph with a sense of place and anticipation of when the goats return. The average viewer may not care about goats, but someone clearly does.

Well seen and crafted, Chuck! Thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 06, 2016, 11:04:52 am
I'm with Terry on this one. I like it.
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: brandtb on February 06, 2016, 02:45:44 pm
Very nice image
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: drmike on February 06, 2016, 03:15:41 pm
It's a tough call in some ways. I can see the point about not being in your face and that it's about the geometry but I'm not sure that it succeeds in that way. There seem to me (and of course that is the point) to be a number of loose ends and arbitrary choices that don't exploit the lines that are there fully.

But it is of course a totally subjective assessment so we are unlikely to have a unequivocal agreement on it.
Title: Re: Goats
Post by: chuckn on February 06, 2016, 04:01:09 pm
Don't change it!

I love this photo. Finally, something on this forum that is more subtle and contemplative and not "in your face" touristy (as so many are, mine included!) This makes one think and look and appreciate the subtleties of the place all presented in a compelling graphic design.

Some will look at this and say "Who cares?" I look at it and say "Wonderful!" It's a photographer's photograph with a sense of place and anticipation of when the goats return. The average viewer may not care about goats, but someone clearly does.

Well seen and crafted, Chuck! Thanks for sharing.

Thank you Terry.

Chuck.