Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: jamesconkle on February 01, 2016, 06:22:32 pm

Title: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: jamesconkle on February 01, 2016, 06:22:32 pm
Hello All,

Currently I shoot, or import, 14-bit uncompressed RAW files to C1 where I make color, exposure, sharpening, grain and local adjustments. Then I export 16 bit uncompressed .TIFF files that are opened in Photoshop where I retouch skin with clone stamp and two curves layers for dodge and burning.

From there I save the .TIFFs and export via Legacy Save For Web to go onto my website.

I'm wondering if there's anything I could change to improve quality? I'm not disappointed with the results I'm getting but I wish there was a way to go back a make color grading adjustments after skin retouching is finished. I know I can create adjustment layers in Photoshop but I've seen colors get pretty blocked up when doing this. Any other recommendations?

Thank you! 
Title: Re: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: Yahor Shumski on February 10, 2016, 01:04:51 pm
I don't think there is a huge improvement to your workflow at the moment.
In case of ACR workflow you can open RAW file as a Smart object in Photoshop and make corrections later but the skin clone layer will maintain the original color. Another option is to select all layers, convert them into a Smart Object and apply Adobe Camera Raw filter with corrections whatever you like. Thought not sure if it will be improvement in terms of color for you.
Title: Re: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: Peano on February 10, 2016, 01:35:08 pm

I know I can create adjustment layers in Photoshop but I've seen colors get pretty blocked up when doing this. Any other recommendations?

That sounds a bit odd, unless you're making very drastic color adjustments. Maybe that part of your workflow needs tweaking. Can you post a before/after example to show how colors get "blocked up" and explain what color adjustments you made?
Title: Re: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: Tim Lookingbill on February 10, 2016, 02:37:01 pm
For skin color grading issues have you tried ACR's (or if C1 has it) the Adjustment Brush panel and color picker?

I'm finding quite easy to fix mixed lighting color hue fixes using the AB's color picker where I get a live update by clicking around on the full spectrum color picker panel instead of fussing with layer blend sliders. I have to be patient nudging hue/sat locations in the color panel because of color constancy perception issues where I have to remind myself complimentary colors desaturate or filter where colors close to each other (yellows/oranges) I'm trying to fix need red/green nudges.

I can't believe how effective this has become working on Raw or Tiff data.
Title: Re: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: Bart_van_der_Wolf on February 10, 2016, 02:52:44 pm
Hello All,

Currently I shoot, or import, 14-bit uncompressed RAW files to C1 where I make color, exposure, sharpening, grain and local adjustments. Then I export 16 bit uncompressed .TIFF files that are opened in Photoshop where I retouch skin with clone stamp and two curves layers for dodge and burning.

From there I save the .TIFFs and export via Legacy Save For Web to go onto my website.

I'm wondering if there's anything I could change to improve quality? I'm not disappointed with the results I'm getting but I wish there was a way to go back a make color grading adjustments after skin retouching is finished. I know I can create adjustment layers in Photoshop but I've seen colors get pretty blocked up when doing this. Any other recommendations?

Hi James,

Why not use the Color Editor's Skin adjustments in Capture One. You can also Clone or Heal on a masked layer (up to 16 layers) in C1 itself. And C1 can use an Export recipe for Web publishing that converts to sRGB at the size that you need if that's what you (most likely) want.

Cheers,
Bart
Title: Re: Could my workflow from C1 to Photoshop be improved?
Post by: AlterEgo on February 10, 2016, 03:45:50 pm
You can also Clone or Heal on a masked layer (up to 16 layers) in C1 itself.
never use PS itself for that, but I 'd take ACR healing tool (as noted you can run in from PS to make a layer) over the C1 any time to get pimples off the skin... simply works ways faster if time matters.