Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Lighting => Topic started by: orc73 on January 30, 2016, 02:34:15 pm
-
Hello
does anybody have experience with equipment strong enough to be used in daylight? Also it would be and advantage to have a battery pack :)
I guess such a thing might be out of reach in price...or not even possible?
best regards
-
You should check out LED Fresnels or just regular LEDs. They're lightweight and work with inexpensive battery packs like the Vagabond mini.
http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php
I own two of these and use them for interviews, but you can also use them for stills. These work with batteries or AC power.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/996877-REG/genaray_sp_e_360b_spectroled_essential_360_bi_color.html
-
There are continuous daylight color temperature options for fill light that are reasonably priced, but to overpower sunlight would require HMI lights. You would need a generator.
-
You should check out LED Fresnels or just regular LEDs. They're lightweight and work with inexpensive battery packs like the Vagabond mini.
http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php
Photogenic also has a version called ION.
I wonder which has more juice. They say very little about amp hours, and output, besides rated flashes for their own lights.
For fill I have some Daylight Rosco LED, but I think as mentioned you want to compete with the sun, so, yes HMI with some panle mirrors to control and such.
-
How many watts(effective) or lux would I need to get 1/1000 f8 at iso 100 on a distance of 4meters?
There are LED fresnels claiming to get 2000w output value with 280w led.
The mentioned buff power unit states it is not suited for modeling.
-
The mentioned buff power unit states it is not suited for modeling.
They are assuming using conventional incandescent or halogen modeling lights, not LEDs, which have a much lower power draw for a given lumens output.
-
How many watts(effective) or lux would I need to get 1/1000 f8 at iso 100 on a distance of 4meters?
There are LED fresnels claiming to get 2000w output value with 280w led.
The mentioned buff power unit states it is not suited for modeling.
It will depend on how you plan to use the light but even when used directly start thinking from an Arri M18 and above and forget powering off batteries. In case you plan to shoot people don´t forget this is a very bright light source and might cause an uncomfortable look. This use is pretty much where strobes really shine…
-
How many watts(effective) or lux would I need to get 1/1000 f8 at iso 100 on a distance of 4meters?
There are LED fresnels claiming to get 2000w output value with 280w led.
I made a quick and dirty test with one LupoLight 25x30 cm2 LED panel we use for portraits indoors, they cost about 1000€ each. From 2 meter distance, set at daylight the exposure at 100 ISO was 1/8. This means that to get 1/1000 sec at f/8 at four meters you would need 512 panels at the total cost of around 0.5 Million Euros. You would be able to negotiate a discount, though.
This was just to show that there is no practical way to provide enough continuous light at those amounts. The unpractical way is used by the movie industry with huge HMI lights with generator trucks. And they need only 1/50 sec, thus only one eighth of the power you are asking for. If they hire one truck, you need 8...
-
haha yes I understand! That's why I was asking.
Will have to try with a few speedlights for outdoor. Problem will be how to get them to work as slaves in sunlight. There are probably no triggers that let's them be used in HSS mode.
-
Using them in HSS mode would in practice turn them into continuous light sources and the power drops a lot.
= leaf shutter camera and strobes.