Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on January 28, 2016, 06:00:34 pm

Title: Strife
Post by: churly on January 28, 2016, 06:00:34 pm
I had another go at working with feeding flock of Juncos in the back yard with a slower shutter.  I think I caught some of the emotion in this one.  ;)
Chuck
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 28, 2016, 06:49:41 pm
Very effective, Chuck!

Your juncos are much more aggressive than mine. I have two that have figured out how to get seeds from the pole feeder, but the others are afraid of heights and just wander around picking up seeds that drop to the ground.

Eric
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: justlikebeingthere on January 28, 2016, 07:36:25 pm
The ghosting effect combined with the wing motif incited imaginative thoughts when I viewed this picture.
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 28, 2016, 11:02:34 pm
I like it, not least for looking forward to see what else you'll find with other shutter speeds.
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: francois on January 29, 2016, 04:14:35 am
Strife or dance, I love it!

The aggressiveness may lie in the bird seeds but it's Chuck's secret!  ;)
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: Walt Roycraft on January 29, 2016, 08:24:56 am
Excellent! Perfect name.
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2016, 10:20:22 am
Hey, Chuck!

Why don't you try this technique on a couple of investment bankers arguing about who should take over a company they both want to raid?    ;D
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 29, 2016, 12:09:48 pm
Hey, Chuck!

Why don't you try this technique on a couple of investment bankers arguing about who should take over a company they both want to raid?    ;D

It reminds me of some "collegial" faculty meetings.   :o
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2016, 12:45:32 pm
It reminds me of some "collegial" faculty meetings.   :o
Absolutely!
I don't miss those at all. I much prefer juncos.
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: MattBurt on January 29, 2016, 01:45:20 pm
Nice image, I really like it!
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: churly on January 29, 2016, 05:01:13 pm
It reminds me of some "collegial" faculty meetings.   :o

It's a bit hard to tell but just like faculty meetings it seems like most of the aggression in the Junco flock involves a few individuals (non-scientific observation disclaimer  ;)).

Eric - I don't think 'our' Juncos are unusually aggressive.  I do offer food-grade millet because for some reason it isn't taxed.  I just read a paper on the subject and these squabbles seem to be common and can be related to the wing-span of the individuals  ;D.  They are generally over in less than a second which makes the game of catching them kind of fun.  If you watch enough you start to pick up the pre-squabble posturing.  Come to think of it, that reminds me of faculty meetings as well.  I should say that faculty meetings at our place have gotten pretty placid lately.  All of the real action takes place behind closed doors with lawyers in tow.  That is something I won't miss in a couple of years either.

Chuck
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: churly on January 29, 2016, 05:17:29 pm
I'll add another here.  I think this one is a bit harsher so I would title it "Cock Fight".

These shots are a bit unfair to Juncos as they are actually most charming birds.  It's great to hear them 'talk' among themselves when a group gathers at the feeder.  It is a bit like a Newfoundland kitchen party.

Chuck
Title: Re: Strife
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2016, 05:31:26 pm
Now you've got me worried about being attacked by a vicious junco in a dark alley!