Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: minicoop1985 on January 28, 2016, 05:53:04 pm
-
Hey all. I'm in the market for a macro lens for my 645AFD. I'm currently most interested in the older manual focus ones, but which one? I'm between the 120 and the 80mm. I already have a spacer for the 80mm, but that means nothing. I'll be shooting a wide variety of stuff, including jewelry and food. Thanks!
-
120
-
I also vote for the 120mm lens - it's a very,very sharp lens and you'll have to get very, very close with the 80mm lens (too close for my taste).
Being that close to a subject is very uncomfortable - personally I also like to use the 210mm with extension tubes but the quality of the 120mm lens is way superior.
And you don't have to get the newest shiniest lens, as far as I know the optics haven't changed much and on a 'lower' resolution back there is absolutely no difference between the latest PhaseOne macro and the 'old' manual focus Mamiya lens for AF.
However I wouldn't recommend using the really old completely manual 'M' lenses, it's just not comfortable to work with in the studio, especially not when you have to focus a lot (you'd have to open and close the aperture all the time...really annoying).
-
120. The 120 is a fantastic lens. The 80 is good, but the 120 is another matter altogether.