Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Endeavour on January 27, 2016, 07:31:46 pm

Title: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: Endeavour on January 27, 2016, 07:31:46 pm
It was delivered without any batteries in it, and my local DIY store doesnt stock CR-123A types - aggh its like being 6 years old again and unwrapping a toy on Christmas morning and finding there are no batteries included and all the shops are closed that day!

On the other hand, I have joined the MF party with a Hasselblad H1 :D

thank you to all those who offered help and advice while I chose a MF camera system.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: BobDavid on January 28, 2016, 01:14:36 am
Don't skimp on the batteries. The cheap ones don't last long.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: BobShaw on January 28, 2016, 01:55:03 am
Congratulations. There is a wide variety of prices on CR-123 batteries. Try eBay. In the end end try and get a rechargeable grip as it lasts much longer. The CR123 is referred to as the reserve grip in the manual.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: torger on January 28, 2016, 02:04:06 am
I feel your pain...
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: Endeavour on January 28, 2016, 08:30:57 am
all good now. Grabbed some batteries and fired her up :)

I'm mostly delighted - except the manual focus seems to be slipping a bit, autofocus is spot on though.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: minicoop1985 on January 28, 2016, 09:45:58 am
Congratulations! The H1 is a FANTASTIC camera. You're going to love that thing. It won't be long until you feel the hankering to go digital with it.

I royally miss mine. After my Canon died, I almost bought another one, but didn't due to the cost of glass.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 28, 2016, 09:55:48 am
I expect this tragedy to be fully developed into an article for The Onion ;)
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: Endeavour on January 28, 2016, 09:57:07 am
Congratulations! The H1 is a FANTASTIC camera. You're going to love that thing. It won't be long until you feel the hankering to go digital with it.

I royally miss mine. After my Canon died, I almost bought another one, but didn't due to the cost of glass.

I hear that

It came with an 80mm which is ok for landscape & maybe some fashion. but for portraiture/beauty stuff I'll really want a 150mm+ and thats a few thousand right there

then a lot more for a digital back - but I might be able to resist that purchase until I can justify it as a business purchase
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 28, 2016, 10:14:17 am
Hi,

Older digital backs are much more affordable now than say two years ago.

Even MFD backs back from say 2007 are perfectly capable of making great images. Repairs can be expensive, though.

Best regards
Erik

I hear that

It came with an 80mm which is ok for landscape & maybe some fashion. but for portraiture/beauty stuff I'll really want a 150mm+ and thats a few thousand right there

then a lot more for a digital back - but I might be able to resist that purchase until I can justify it as a business purchase
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: minicoop1985 on January 28, 2016, 11:08:57 am
I had the 150mm 3.2. What a fantastic unbelievably sharp lens. Just... wow.
Title: Re: I finally got myself a Hasselblad - it's just too painful....
Post by: Chris Livsey on January 28, 2016, 02:11:13 pm
Keep an eye on CR2032 battery in the film back. I find the battery indicator unreliable, that's in two backs, and it really messes up the communication with the body when it gets low before it actually runs out.