Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on January 27, 2016, 06:48:49 pm

Title: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 27, 2016, 06:48:49 pm
Dear team,

I have been using the aforementioned lens casually on my Betterlight back with good results, but I was wondering whether some of you had the chance to use this lens on recent digital backs?

- How well does it resolve without movements with 80mp class backs?
- How well behaved is it with movements with CMOS backs?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: Paul2660 on January 27, 2016, 07:16:01 pm
Dear team,

I have been using the aforementioned lens casually on my Betterlight back with good results, but I was wondering whether some of you had the chance to use this lens on recent digital backs?

- How well does it resolve without movements with 80mp class backs?
- How well behaved is it with movements with CMOS backs?

Thank you.

Cheers,

Bernard

If it's the Pink banded version, I toyed with it for a while on my IQ260, no problems, besides trying to focus.  Gets pretty tough on a med telephoto without live view IMO.  I went with the Schneider 120mm APO digitar instead, mainly due to size and less Arca rings.  The 150mm is a great lens IMO. 

Paul C
Title: Re: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 27, 2016, 07:18:17 pm
If it's the Pink banded version, I toyed with it for a while on my IQ260, no problems, besides trying to focus.  Gets pretty tough on a med telephoto without live view IMO.  I went with the Schneider 120mm APO digitar instead, mainly due to size and less Arca rings.  The 150mm is a great lens IMO. 

Thanks Paul, yes it does have a pink band indeed.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: Paul2660 on January 27, 2016, 07:42:17 pm
Excellent lens.  Both the 120mm and 150 and 105mm in that line are great.

On a tech camera, I believe the lens, will need a back extension, where you move the digital back out from the tech camera out. 

Paul C
Title: Re: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 27, 2016, 10:15:30 pm
Thanks Paul.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Rodenstock APO-Sironar Digital 150mm f5.6 on recent Digital Backs?
Post by: E_Edwards on January 28, 2016, 05:36:24 am
I can also confirm. I have the 150, the 135 and the 120, all with the pink band, all very good, with no discernible difference between them in terms of sharpness which is excellent. I use them on a Credo50. The 120 macro is probably a touch sharper wide open, but I always use these lenses between f8 to a maximum of f11. If you go down to f16, you definitely notice softening. Just one stop difference is like night and day.


Edward