Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on January 27, 2016, 05:14:03 pm

Title: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 27, 2016, 05:14:03 pm
St. Alex Church, Calangute. (http://blog.parrikar.com/2016/01/27/st-alex-church-calangute/)




Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: RSL on January 27, 2016, 07:36:05 pm
Fine shot, Rajan. Love the lighted interior visible through the door.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: francois on January 28, 2016, 05:47:29 am
The link light gives a soft look that I'm very fond of. As noted by Russ, the lighted interior makes it even better.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 28, 2016, 09:34:23 am
The quiet beauty, not at all flamboyant, is what we have come to expect from Rajan.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 28, 2016, 12:06:46 pm
Excellent light, we had something like it on the snow here this morning.
The building feels like it is leaning a little to the right.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 28, 2016, 12:28:39 pm
Russ, Francois, Eric, Scott - thanks.

Scott - good catch! Fixed now.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 28, 2016, 04:24:58 pm
It's very beautiful but I wonder if the verticals aren't a little over-corrected. It looks as if it's bursting out at the top. Could just be me, of course.

Jeremy
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 28, 2016, 06:53:32 pm
It's very beautiful but I wonder if the verticals aren't a little over-corrected. It looks as if it's bursting out at the top. Could just be me, of course.

Jeremy

Thanks, Jeremy. I am not sure I agree. I try not to make the lines entirely vertical in cases such as these. But I recognize that there are differing views on how much correction is appropriate. The main correction here was done via the Tilt-Shift lens not in post-processing.
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: francois on January 29, 2016, 04:18:10 am
Thanks, Jeremy. I am not sure I agree. I try not to make the lines entirely vertical in cases such as these. But I recognize that there are differing views on how much correction is appropriate. The main correction here was done via the Tilt-Shift lens not in post-processing.

The building may not be perfectly "square". A few years ago, I tried to correct a shot of a tuscan farm and I never managed to get it right. Last year I returned and could notice that nothing in the construction was really parallel or vertical or square…
Title: Re: St. Alex Church, Calangute, Goa
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 29, 2016, 10:04:49 am
The issue of the "squareness" of a building reminds me of a time many years ago when I was working for a small research company located in a colonial era New England house. One large room in the house was the library, which had a ceiling probably about six feet and six inches high at one side, tapering to about five feet ten inches on the other side. I could tell, because I was about six feet two inches tall with plenty of clearance on the high side of the room only.

When the house was built, I suspect that a tall guy worked on one side of the house while a shorter guy worked on the other side, each using his "elbow to finger tip" as a measuring device. In spite of this peculiarity, the house was solid, having lasted over two hundred years when I worked there.

Hmmm. Maybe a little Photoshop wizardry could fix that house.   ;)