Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Diego Pigozzo on January 27, 2016, 05:30:12 am

Title: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on January 27, 2016, 05:30:12 am
Taken last weekend in Bolzen
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: stamper on January 27, 2016, 05:38:10 am
I don't see what you "saw" in the first one. The highlights are annoying. However the second and third are worth looking at. Perhaps a crop at the top of the second one? I like the shallow depth of field in the third one.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 27, 2016, 09:53:07 am
Gosh! Normally I find myself agreeing with almost all of Stamper's comments, but not this time.
My initial reaction (before I read his post) was: "Wow! I wish I'd taken that first one! The other two are pretty nice, too."

I guess it just confirms that it's "different strokes for different folks."

-Eric

P.S. I do a lot of shooting on a sandy beach at low tide of backlit sand forms with sparkly highlights from the sun, so I'm a bit prejudiced.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 28, 2016, 05:02:13 am
Gosh! Normally I find myself agreeing with almost all of Stamper's comments, but not this time.
My initial reaction (before I read his post) was: "Wow! I wish I'd taken that first one! The other two are pretty nice, too."

I agree with all of that! I really like the first one, save only for the loss of focus in the upper part. The others are OK, but they don't stir me anywhere near as much.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 28, 2016, 12:08:21 pm
I agree with all of that!

Yes, #1 turns my crank.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 28, 2016, 12:48:45 pm
#1 is very good.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on January 29, 2016, 07:25:28 am
I don't see what you "saw" in the first one.
What struck me when I shot the first one was both the blinding light of the sun and the smooth tonality and texture of the sand.
During post-processing I end up with this quite dark rendering, which I think influenced me for the other twos (because I applied to them the same post-processing of the first one).

As Eric said, this just means we have different tastes :).



That said, thanks all you guys for the comments: they are really appreciated :)
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: davidh202 on January 31, 2016, 04:35:47 pm
I really like #1 also.
I experimented with a horizontal crop of the central portion only,leaving a slight nub of the upper shoreline inat the right top, which accentuates the rays of the sun reflections almost appearing as Sea Urchin spines.Makes for an interesting abstract.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on January 31, 2016, 06:17:32 pm
I really like #1 also.
I experimented with a horizontal crop of the central portion only,leaving a slight nub of the upper shoreline inat the right top, which accentuates the rays of the sun reflections almost appearing as Sea Urchin spines.Makes for an interesting abstract.
Please, post your experiment: I personally like very much to see how other peoples sees my shots.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: davidh202 on February 01, 2016, 12:12:38 am
Hi Diego,

This is what I saw in your image .
I also cloned out the sticks and their shadows as they were more noticeable  in the closer view, and sharpened slightly.
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 01, 2016, 09:27:45 am
Hi Diego,

This is what I saw in your image .
I also cloned out the sticks and their shadows as they were more noticeable  in the closer view, and sharpened slightly.
I like that version even better. I think it is close to what I might have done if I had been there.

Eric
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on February 02, 2016, 02:03:45 am
Hi Diego,

This is what I saw in your image .
I also cloned out the sticks and their shadows as they were more noticeable  in the closer view, and sharpened slightly.
I like it, too.
It's more abstract than the original one.
Very well done. :)
Title: Re: Three from Bolzen
Post by: davidh202 on February 02, 2016, 08:05:32 pm
Thanks Diego,
Glad you liked it!

David