Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on January 26, 2016, 02:17:11 pm

Title: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 26, 2016, 02:17:11 pm
Second try - let's hope this one uploads properly.

Black Dragon Pool in Lijiang, Yunnan, at the foot of Jade Dragon Snow Mountain, in the late afternoon sun.

Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 26, 2016, 08:21:54 pm
Wonderful scene. To me, the bridge is too conspicuous, I want to see more of the temple/building (which is mostly in the shade).
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 27, 2016, 06:21:49 am
Wonderful scene. To me, the bridge is too conspicuous, I want to see more of the temple/building (which is mostly in the shade).

Fixed.

How's the saturation? That's always my bugbear in colourful/contrasty scenes - Photoshop and browser never match up on my wide-gamut monitors. It looks fine on my phone, though.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: stamper on January 27, 2016, 08:18:48 am
I like saturation and contrast, however on my Firefox browser with colour management enabled it looks a little to saturated imo. As to the composition then it looks fine to me and all of the elements come together nicely.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 27, 2016, 08:22:58 am
I like saturation and contrast, however on my Firefox browser with colour management enabled it looks a little to saturated imo. As to the composition then it looks fine to me and all of the elements come together nicely.

I'm also using Firefox with colour management enabled. Thing is, it still doesn't look the same as in Photoshop - it looks fine in PS, but oversaturated in browser (this is on a wide-gamut monitor) and fine on the phone browser (on a smartphone screen).
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: Petrus on January 27, 2016, 09:00:58 am
Nice enough picture, but looks over saturated to me (Safari, calibrated Eizo Color Edge CX240). But then again, practically all landscape pictures nowadays are, unless B&W...
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: Jens Peermann on January 27, 2016, 08:36:55 pm
Lovely scene and the the candy colors (it's a compliment when I use that term) work really well here. I'm smiling when I look at it.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: polaris-14 on January 28, 2016, 12:07:54 am
The color looks fine to me. And yes, this photo is very well composed. I can feel the serenity of being there.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: Photog-x on January 28, 2016, 06:47:55 am
Great scene.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 28, 2016, 07:02:25 am
Out of interest, what browser/monitor/colour management options are you using if you think it looks oversaturated? And what combination are you using if you think it looks OK?

Does it look OK in Photoshop?
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 28, 2016, 08:50:32 am
Greens look particularly garish (as it did on the bamboo path shot in another post), followed by oranges. The third offender is the magenta cast in the mountain reflection. The sky and the mountain look reasonably correct. Right now I am looking at it on an iPad Air 2 Retina and Safari. Looks the same in Chrome on the same device. Over time, I've come to trust iPad as a good indicator of a "correct" web reproduction precisely because it doesn't allow people to fiddle with its color. Plus it matches rather closely my calibrated monitor.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 29, 2016, 02:06:53 am
Greens look particularly garish (as it did on the bamboo path shot in another post), followed by oranges. The third offender is the magenta cast in the mountain reflection.

The oranges and reds certainly look strong, but the greens seen to be bordering on drab - even dropping saturation by 10 points in Photoshop seems to make them unacceptably so on my display. What magenta cast? Looks orange to me...

Quote
The sky and the mountain look reasonably correct.

Interestingly, the mountain was by far the most heavily-processed part of the entire photo - heavily desaturated and darkened (from a bright blue in the original) and contrast increased, to account for the atmospheric haze. The hill on the right, with all the vegetation, was barely touched.

Quote
Right now I am looking at it on an iPad Air 2 Retina and Safari. Looks the same in Chrome on the same device. Over time, I've come to trust iPad as a good indicator of a "correct" web reproduction precisely because it doesn't allow people to fiddle with its color. Plus it matches rather closely my calibrated monitor.

It looks great on my Sony Xperia phone and mildly undersaturated in Photoshop, but way oversaturated in Firefox on a wide-gamut monitor. I haven't tried printing it yet, but other images which look similar seem t turn out well in print. With different opinions from different people using different monitors, and looking oversaturated on some of my displays, correct in others and even undersaturated in one or two, I have no idea who or what to believe any more with regards to saturation.
Title: Re: Black Dragon Pool, Yunnan, China
Post by: davidh202 on January 31, 2016, 04:11:53 pm
Lovely capture...
I am seeing the same as Slobodan.I'm on an Eizo  ColorEdgeCG, on Chrome Browser
Neon greens,  bright Oranges, slight magenta cast in water.Only slightly less saturated when I load it into PS CS6
Print it ...proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes.