Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on January 26, 2016, 03:52:14 am

Title: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 26, 2016, 03:52:14 am
Sad news.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-35398552
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: francois on January 26, 2016, 07:03:08 am
Sad, indeed but we tend to forget that there's a real danger in those challenges.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 26, 2016, 01:54:42 pm
It is very sad, but I think I can understand why he did it. And as a "distant relative" of Shackleton's Captain Worsley, I suspect he may have expected a miracle comparable to the one that led Shackleton to get back from his ordeal with all of his crew alive, against seemingly  impossible odds.

He surely had great satisfaction in knowing how much money he had raised for his soldiers' fund.

His final messages sound as if he accepted what was happening
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: MattBurt on January 26, 2016, 04:56:52 pm
Yeah he certainly knew the risks and lost the gamble. Sad that the stakes were so high for him and his family. Some people are just driven to do these kinds of things. I heard another report that said he was only something 30 miles away from finishing which is reminiscent of Sir Francis Scott's fateful last expedition. Brutal country out there!
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: torger on January 27, 2016, 02:25:14 am
I don't know the full story in this particular tragic event, but it could be said that an extreme will to reach your goals can be dangerous in these type of situations. Knowing when you're beaten is also part of the game. I assume that he could have called for help earlier, but he probably did not understand exactly how ill he was and pushed and pushed to get to the goal instead of realizing that it was a lost cause and he should have aborted.

It could also have been the case that it could not get help any earlier, I don't know. In any case it's a tragic event.

I sometimes think that in our society we have an unhealthy fixation on strong wills and winners which push people to accept extreme risks... but it's hard to draw a line. We've always been explorers and I'm myself fascinated by these type of adventures, just as high altitude climbing.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: stamper on January 27, 2016, 05:31:51 am
I feel sorry for the family, less sorry for the person that died. To prove what??? The family will suffer for the rest of their lives because of a fixation the explorer had. :( :'(
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Petrus on January 27, 2016, 06:16:52 am
This individual in question was much better prepared for the adventure than many, and he almost made it. Global communications, airborne help etc makes these much safer than ever before, he was also airlifted out alive, and at least to my eyes also take a lot away from the true challenge*. Practically all people skiing to the South Pole ski just one way and are airlifted out, but still expect the same veneration as the old explorers (these contemporary guys do not actually explore anything) who had to first to get there, but also BACK, which is the harder part actually. Mr Worsley at least was an honest old school man and tried to get there and back again under his own power, so much respect to him.

*) I suspect he did not call for help earlier, as he also understood the old rules of the game: you are alone in this. In the old days we would not have known what happened, only after a few years we would be more or less sure he had not made it, and his body would be possibly found a hundred years later or not at all.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: sierraman on January 28, 2016, 02:55:18 pm
Where would we be without exploration. I think we all of some sense of adventure in us. Just some have more then others.  :)
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: stamper on January 29, 2016, 03:23:43 am
Where would we be without exploration. I think we all of some sense of adventure in us. Just some have more then others.  :)

The trip wasn't about exploring??? He was mimicking what had been done before. Exploration means you travel somewhere where you expect to find places that others - to your knowledge - haven't been. This was an endurance contest which unfortunately ended in disaster. It was sad but preventable? 
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 29, 2016, 04:05:47 am
The trip wasn't about exploring??? He was mimicking what had been done before. Exploration means you travel somewhere where you expect to find places that others - to your knowledge - haven't been. This was an endurance contest which unfortunately ended in disaster. It was sad but preventable?

Remove the question marks and I'll agree with you absolutely. I'm sorry for the man and sorry for his family but ultimately this was pure self-indulgence. "It's for charity" adds nothing: there are better, safer ways of raising money.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Otto Phocus on January 29, 2016, 06:58:03 am
I don't know the full story in this particular tragic event, but it could be said that an extreme will to reach your goals can be dangerous in these type of situations. Knowing when you're beaten is also part of the game. I assume that he could have called for help earlier, but he probably did not understand exactly how ill he was and pushed and pushed to get to the goal instead of realizing that it was a lost cause and he should have aborted.

I wonder how much his pride factored into this also.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: sierraman on January 29, 2016, 09:12:36 am
The trip wasn't about exploring??? He was mimicking what had been done before. Exploration means you travel somewhere where you expect to find places that others - to your knowledge - haven't been. This was an endurance contest which unfortunately ended in disaster. It was sad but preventable?
My guess is that you have never done any "exploring" in your life as it has all been done before you came along.  :)
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Petrus on January 29, 2016, 12:01:13 pm
I have to admit that I am somewhat annoyed by modern day "explorers", who actually do not find, or even try to find anything new, but use satellite images, store bought maps and GPS units to verify that they are where they should be. And do they actually publish anything except glossy photo books about their exploits, with sponsors' logos clearly visible? Adventure, much of that going on, more than ever (but done safely, with sat phones and airborne rescues). Exploration, practically none, Because everything has been mapped and and almost every place visited already.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: MattBurt on January 29, 2016, 12:46:54 pm
I like that people push themselves on adventures like this if they are reasonably prepared. Calling it exploring might be a stretch but whether it's adventure or exploration I understand the appeal. In some of us there is a deep desire to explore or adventure and if we know the risks and our families accept that we are inclined toward this kind of thing then I feel like it can be a worthy pursuit. I'm not talking about the rich guys who just want to say they climbed Everest even though they aren't really mountaineers (which endangers sherpas and other climbers), but the people who live and breathe adventure and understand the risks. 
I recently watched the film Meru (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvS6O9lVkkg) which features a personal hero of mine, Jimmy Chin climbing a yet un-climbed Himalayan peak. If not exploration, it's definitely adventure. Whatever we call it I'm fascinated and love to do my own scaled down (but challenging for me) adventures too.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: amolitor on January 29, 2016, 01:16:07 pm
Describing these people as explorers is silly. Endurance athletes, on the other hand, that's a perfectly reasonable description and gives due respect.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Zorki5 on January 29, 2016, 01:39:26 pm
Describing these people as explorers is silly. Endurance athletes, on the other hand, that's a perfectly reasonable description and gives due respect.

How about "explorers of the human endurance limits"?
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Colorado David on January 29, 2016, 04:02:56 pm
. . . (but done safely, with sat phones and airborne rescues). . .

Calling arctic travel safe and with the potential of airborne rescue is not at all realistic.  Perhaps it is safer than a hundred years ago, but declaring it safe is ludicrous.  A college classmate of mine served on the U.S. Antarctic Research Station support crew.  There are nine months of the year where airborne anything is not possible.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: muntanela on January 29, 2016, 05:54:52 pm
"What will drive me on is raising money for these wounded soldiers"

This statement seems to come from another century, from the Napoleonic wars or perhaps the succession wars of the XVIII century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wEUlpaYjY (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7wEUlpaYjY)
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: stamper on January 30, 2016, 04:00:27 am
My guess is that you have never done any "exploring" in your life as it has all been done before you came along.  :)

Correct!
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 30, 2016, 04:14:55 am
How about "explorers of the human endurance limits"?

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

Jeremy
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: stamper on January 30, 2016, 04:48:21 am
Mountaineers deliberately choosing to climb mountains in bad weather is a similar form of selfishness. When things go wrong they expect - and get it - rescuers to promptly arrive and save them and to make matters worse they repeat their selfishness by returning to the mountains. No thoughts for relatives who worry about them. As I indicated earlier it is the relatives I feel sorry for the most. :(
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Zorki5 on January 30, 2016, 02:50:35 pm
"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less."

I had one of those "annotated" editions of Through the Looking-Glass where "notes" occupied about 1/4 of each page on average. The note to the sentence you quoted said something to the effect that that was, in fact, Lewis Carroll's "official position" on the meanings of words.

We may or may not agree with such approach, but it definitely explains language changes over time, including the one with the word "explorer".
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Colorado David on January 30, 2016, 06:08:00 pm
Ancient Greek is a concrete language. Words have their meaning. Modern English is fairly euphemistic, so words are open to interpretation and don't always mean what you want them to besides the potential for them changing over time.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Tarnash on January 30, 2016, 10:10:14 pm
I think that perhaps we are all `explorers', in one way or another,  though few of us may want (or claim) the title even if it were bestowed on us.  I believe too that a degree of `selfishness' is an almost essential prerequisite to any such undertaking (ambition or drive might be suitable alternatives).  Regardless of all of that, I believe Mr Worsley was a courageous man and his loss a sad one.  That said, I'm off to `explore' some photographic opportunities - though I seriously doubt that I'll discover anything entirely new. ;)     
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Zorki5 on January 30, 2016, 10:15:48 pm
Ancient Greek is a concrete language. Words have their meaning. Modern English is fairly euphemistic, so words are open to interpretation and don't always mean what you want them to besides the potential for them changing over time.

I agree with everything you said about languages, but I'd argue that languages' qualities just reflect the societies that use them.

Modern world changes beyond recognition during lifetime of a single generation, and languages simply follow that change. "Notebook" today means not what it used to mean when I was young, and "explorer" is undergoing a very similar transformation.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: amolitor on January 30, 2016, 11:10:23 pm
Word meanings evolved in ancient Greece, you know.
Perhaps not as rapidly as English has evolved, but then, Greek does not actively and constantly mug other languages and steal their words.
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 31, 2016, 04:15:48 am
Greek does not actively and constantly mug other languages and steal their words.

That's an exceptionally silly use of words, particularly "mug" and "theft".

Jeremy
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 31, 2016, 09:24:49 am
That's an exceptionally silly use of words, particularly "mug" and "theft".

Jeremy
I agree.
I was drinking coffee from my mug while I was stealing your words.

By the way, Humpty is one of my favorite philosophers.

-Eric
Title: Re: Henry Worsley dies attempting Antarctic crossing
Post by: Nelsonretreat on February 01, 2016, 01:39:06 am
I'm sorry for the man and sorry for his family but ultimately this was pure self-indulgence. "It's for charity" adds nothing: there are better, safer ways of raising money.

Jeremy

Couldn't agree more. I'm sick of those tiresome self indulgent people who raise money for charity. I'm even more sick of those idiots who go out and do brave difficult things while the rest of us sit and home and write messages on furums. Those darn money-raisers deserve all the criticism they get..even better if it's done posthumously in my view. Saves us having to listen to them defend themselves.