Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: iCanvas on January 23, 2016, 09:37:23 am

Title: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: iCanvas on January 23, 2016, 09:37:23 am
If I am printing on canvas will I see a difference between the results from a P8000 using 8 inks and a P9000 using ten inks? Do the orange and green additional inks make a visible difference?

Gar
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 23, 2016, 10:18:37 am
I don't know about canvas, but with gloss/luster papers the additional two inks provide more gamut, particularly noticeable however only for certain shades of yellow and brilliant green. Otherwise, hard to tell them apart in the hands of a good printer.
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: digitaldog on January 23, 2016, 10:56:46 am
I agree with Mark and suggest you'd need to test this with good, wide gamut data both ways. I suspect you'll see a difference in saturated colors no matter the media.
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: iCanvas on January 23, 2016, 11:20:48 am
With the new P20000 64" wide printer and new inks, would that be the same? That new printer is also only 8 inks.

Gar
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 23, 2016, 11:34:20 am
In principle probably, but that is brand new model designed for commercial print environments, so I can't be sure. I don't know what your printing requirements are, but based on experience we know that if a printer is designed for high volume commercial use, you could run into frustration under-utilizing it. In principle again, you should match the machine to your needs as closely as possible.
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: digitaldog on January 23, 2016, 01:01:00 pm
With the new P20000 64" wide printer and new inks, would that be the same? That new printer is also only 8 inks.
We'd have to have access to the unit for creation of an ICC profile to fully understand it's color gamut.
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: JRSmit on January 23, 2016, 05:01:29 pm
If I am printing on canvas will I see a difference between the results from a P8000 using 8 inks and a P9000 using ten inks? Do the orange and green additional inks make a visible difference?

Gar
G and O add more gamut especially in the up per half of the gamut. (The least btw in pure yellow)
Note that the scp7000 and 9000 make more use of G and O when using the Epson driver compared to 4900 or 9900.

Then again does the image have colors in that expanded  part of the gamut?


Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 23, 2016, 05:15:49 pm
Here's a picture of comparative gamut volumes for Ilford Gold Fibre Silk used in the 4900 with G+O inks (wireframe) versus P800. The difference is most pronounced as I indicated for this combination, but I have only seen it really visible in side by side comparisons for *certain* bright green and yellow colours.
Title: Re: Difference between 8 and 10 color printing on Epson printers
Post by: iCanvas on January 24, 2016, 09:06:51 am
Thanks Mark. That helps a lot.

Gar