Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Theodoros on January 22, 2016, 06:19:27 pm

Title: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 22, 2016, 06:19:27 pm
I'm setting up a view camera that will be able to be used with both MFDBs and FF mirrorless, am I right to think that the α7II will be better than the α7RII when used with movements? Has anyone examined the benefit of 14bit lossless compressed & uncompressed files with a view camera?

Also, how does the Nikkor 17-35mm image circle expands as the lens is zoomed towards its long end? I'm particularly interested on its 21mm, 24mm, 28mm & 35mm settings... Is the lens capable to project an image circle similar to PC/TS 35mm lenses as it is zoomed out?
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 23, 2016, 05:23:47 pm
Can't believe that none has tried both α7 cameras on his Actus or other as to decide which suits his view camera better... C'mon guys...
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on January 24, 2016, 12:36:03 am
Theodoros, I use A7R1 and A7R2 with a Horseman view camera and 80mm and 120mm lenses plus I use a tilt shift adapter with a Nikon 14-24mm lens.
I compare both bodies, the A7R1 being compress and the A7R2 uncompress new sensor design. The marginal differences that I see are megapixel related, even shifted 12mm I don't see any difference in color or detail.
One thing is that they render color a bit different but that is the whole frame. The A7R1 is a bit more contrasty.
You can't go wrong with these cameras, they're great.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 24, 2016, 01:32:23 am
Theodoros, I use A7R1 and A7R2 with a Horseman view camera and 80mm and 120mm lenses plus I use a tilt shift adapter with a Nikon 14-24mm lens.
I compare both bodies, the A7R1 being compress and the A7R2 uncompress new sensor design. The marginal differences that I see are megapixel related, even shifted 12mm I don't see any difference in color or detail.
One thing is that they render color a bit different but that is the whole frame. The A7R1 is a bit more contrasty.
You can't go wrong with these cameras, they're great.
of close

Thanks for the reply Antonio, I wonder if you can help a little more here if you can borrow and try an α7II & a Nikkor 17-35mm lens out of close frinds as to test them, the camera with respect to the a7RII and the lens with respect to 14-24mm at 20mm & 24mm settings for image circle size (maximum shift one can get at the long size of the sensor), corner sharpness and distortion at f5.6, f8 & f11 apertures only... It would be much appreciated if you have a way to help on this.....

What would you say the useful (meaning maximum shift at the long side of the sensor, with acceptable corner sharpness and minimal distortion) image circle of the 14-24mm is at 17mm, 21mm & 24mm settings?
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 24, 2016, 05:54:36 am
Hi Theodoros,

I have only experience of shooting A7rII on a HCam Master  TSII, which yields about +/-12 mm shift with most lenses. I would suggest that there would be little problem with either A7II or A7rII with lenses made for DSLRs.

The owner of HCam.de Stefan Steib is usually a good source of information on the things you are asking.

Best regards
Erik

of close

Thanks for the reply Antonio, I wonder if you can help a little more here if you can borrow and try an α7II & a Nikkor 17-35mm lens out of close frinds as to test them, the camera with respect to the a7RII and the lens with respect to 14-24mm at 20mm & 24mm settings for image circle size (maximum shift one can get at the long size of the sensor), corner sharpness and distortion at f5.6, f8 & f11 apertures only... It would be much appreciated if you have a way to help on this.....

What would you say the useful (meaning maximum shift at the long side of the sensor, with acceptable corner sharpness and minimal distortion) image circle of the 14-24mm is at 17mm, 21mm & 24mm settings?
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 24, 2016, 10:40:44 am
Hi Theodoros,

I have only experience of shooting A7rII on a HCam Master  TSII, which yields about +/-12 mm shift with most lenses. I would suggest that there would be little problem with either A7II or A7rII with lenses made for DSLRs.

The owner of HCam.de Stefan Steib is usually a good source of information on the things you are asking.

Best regards
Erik


Stefan also comes in my mind as to be the one that might have tested the questions asked... lets hope he'll notice the discussion and will participate. I know that he recommends the 14-24mm for use with the HCam, but this might be due to the wider angle the lens can provide, I suspect that the 17-35 might have an even larger image circle at 24mm and 28mm than the 14-24 because the tests suggest that it shows less vignetting at those settings and additionally zooming on the 17-35 is all done through recessing the rear group of elements inside the lens body...

I don't expect a7RII to have any issues with FF DSLR or MF lenses, but the story may be different with "traditional" view camera lenses and (as you may have noticed by now) I'm not a big fun of ultra small pixels nor I like the looks of ultra sharp pictures that exceed the sharpness of the human eye... I rather think that extreme sharpness can damage a great subject because it attracts attention to it rather than the subject, but it is more prone to artifacts too (although they are more difficult to notice at first site). 
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on January 24, 2016, 11:04:17 am
Well I don't have access to the 17-35 or the A7II but I can do the test with the 14-24 on the A7RII.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: araucaria on January 24, 2016, 07:34:25 pm
I wonder if those cheap nikon f to e-mount shift adapters would work in such a setup or if they introduce vignetting/shadowing.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on January 24, 2016, 09:00:10 pm
I wonder if those cheap nikon f to e-mount shift adapters would work in such a setup or if they introduce vignetting/shadowing.
I don't consider them cheap at $360. The construction and design is surprisingly very good in the one that I have (Kipon).
With wide-angle lenses you hit the lens images circle limit before the adapter's limit (shadowing) at 8 to 10mm shift.
With telephoto lenses you hit the adapter's limit (shadowing) before the lens limit at 12mm shift.
Tomorrow I'm planing to take some time to shoot some samples with the 14-24 Nikon G.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 25, 2016, 02:26:41 am
I don't consider them cheap at $360. The construction and design is surprisingly very good in the one that I have (Kipon).
With wide-angle lenses you hit the lens images circle limit before the adapter's limit (shadowing) at 8 to 10mm shift.
With telephoto lenses you hit the adapter's limit (shadowing) before the lens limit at 12mm shift.
Tomorrow I'm planing to take some time to shoot some samples with the 14-24 Nikon G.

Your info will be most valuable to me Antonio, I wonder if you can additionally measure the distance from the mounting flange (at the mounting plane - please ignore back locking extension that Nikon's mount has) that the rear element is recessing into the lens barrel at 24mm (focused to infinity). Thanks.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on January 25, 2016, 03:15:04 pm
Theodoros, I don't have tall buildings around the neighborhood so nothing fancy but functional.

Sony A7RII + Kipon tilt Shift adapter. All images f9 which is the sweet spot for this lens.

1.- 14-24 @ 24mm shift up 10mm  F/9

2.- 14-24 @ 20mm shift up 10mm  F/9

3.- 14-24 @ 18mm shift up 8mm F/9

Download Raw Files + xmp (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10120389/Nikon14-24T%3AS.zip)
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: ACH DIGITAL on January 25, 2016, 03:20:55 pm
"The rear element is recessing into the lens barrel at 24mm (focused to infinity)"

I don't have a precise measuring tool but it is about 10mm.
Title: Re: Sony α7ii, or α7RII for use on a view camera? also Νikon 17-35/2.8 image circle?
Post by: Theodoros on January 25, 2016, 04:18:13 pm
"The rear element is recessing into the lens barrel at 24mm (focused to infinity)"

I don't have a precise measuring tool but it is about 10mm.

Thanks, please comment on the image circle size and optical characteristics when you have the time to check it...