Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on January 21, 2016, 07:10:20 pm

Title: Restless Shoreline
Post by: churly on January 21, 2016, 07:10:20 pm
I went out to try to shoot the swell coming off of a large low pressure system south of Greenland but ended up in a major struggle to keep the salt spray off of the lens in a heavy wind.  I resorted to crouching behind a rock shooting close in shoots of the shore.  These are from Cape Spear, the easternmost point in North America.  I would appreciate opinions on what does and doesn't work on these.
Chuck
Title: Re: Restless Shoreline
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 21, 2016, 10:59:41 pm
My responses are quite visceral. I find the first two quite frightening. I feel myself and my camera being swept off the rocks by the surf. The third one feels as if it was taken from a slightly safer place, out of the direct reach of the waves.

Powerful images. I'm glad you made it back safely.

Eric
Title: Re: Restless Shoreline
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 22, 2016, 05:05:31 am
Good series, my favourite is #1: depicts the power of the crashing waves, plus the water receding/going over the rocks.
Title: Re: Restless Shoreline
Post by: Bob_B on January 22, 2016, 09:26:18 am
Neat series. You certainly captured the force of the wind-blown waves. To my eyes, your images move from quite chaotic to calmer in three steps. The first has too much high frequency noise for my taste, but as I say that's strictly my opinion. The third is a bit too calm to convey what I believe was happening, but the second one has just the right balance. I hope this helps, and thanks for sharing.
Title: Re: Restless Shoreline
Post by: francois on January 22, 2016, 09:36:01 am
Eric is spot on, nature can be mesmerizing with its violence. Fear often comes later. This set of photos is a perfect exemple.

Well done, Chuck!
Title: Re: Restless Shoreline
Post by: churly on January 23, 2016, 07:24:59 am
Thanks for all of your insights!  I hoped that a bit of the action carried through into the images.

Bob_B - I was wondering about that.

Paulo - The rocks are of Avalonian affinity, so they are loosely related to Iberian side of the conjugate margin.

Chuck