Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Mirrorless Cameras => Topic started by: BernardLanguillier on January 21, 2016, 05:28:48 pm

Title: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 21, 2016, 05:28:48 pm
http://leicarumors.com/2016/01/21/dxomark-on-the-leica-sl-best-performing-leica-to-date-with-nikon-d750-leica-q-and-sony-a7-ii-comparisons.aspx/

The results are pretty good overall. I still don't quite see why I would want to pay 4 times the price of my D750 that performs better along most axis, but at least the SL sensor is pretty good.

On a different note, engineers must feel increasingly lonely at Canon sensor division. A small Belgian start up is now joining the long list of companies doing a better job than them at sensor design it would seem.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: David Anderson on January 21, 2016, 11:18:23 pm
Makes the D750 look a real bargain..  ;D

Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: E.J. Peiker on January 22, 2016, 01:55:26 pm
Makes the D750 look a real bargain..  ;D
Makes the original a7 which can be had for well under $1K a real bargain ;)
Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 22, 2016, 02:06:31 pm
Hi Bernard,

I guess the engineers are doing fine, they just miss an 18 nm fab…

Best regards
Erik

http://leicarumors.com/2016/01/21/dxomark-on-the-leica-sl-best-performing-leica-to-date-with-nikon-d750-leica-q-and-sony-a7-ii-comparisons.aspx/

The results are pretty good overall. I still don't quite see why I would want to pay 4 times the price of my D750 that performs better along most axis, but at least the SL sensor is pretty good.

On a different note, engineers must feel increasingly lonely at Canon sensor division. A small Belgian start up is now joining the long list of companies doing a better job than them at sensor design it would seem.

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 23, 2016, 01:09:30 am
I guess the engineers are doing fine, they just miss an 18 nm fab…

What prevents them from manufacturing their designs somewhere else?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: AreBee on January 23, 2016, 08:37:05 am
Erik,

Quote
...the engineers are doing fine, they just miss an 18 nm fab…

It must be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: ErikKaffehr on January 23, 2016, 09:22:35 am
Hi,

The answer to that question may be company pride in combination with company management.

But, there is another side. The Canon sensor is good enough. A lot of great images are taken with Canon cameras.

Clearly, the Nikon sensors have better DR, but Canon's DR may be ample for most subjects.

BTW, is this not a Leica thread?

Best regards
Erik



What prevents them from manufacturing their designs somewhere else?

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: JV on January 23, 2016, 06:54:24 pm
I thought long and hard about the Leica SL but with only one native lens and some of the adapters still missing (a/o the S-one) this is still a very incomplete system.

The sensor is good, the same as the Leica Q and I like the Leica Q.

At this stage IMHO it mostly makes sense for people with lots of R-glass.

2-3 years from now will be a whole different different ballpark if they get that 50mm right (which I am sure they will) and if they can also release some lenses that don't weight a ton...

Title: Re: DxO Leica SL sensor tests
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 23, 2016, 07:21:36 pm
BTW, is this not a Leica thread?

Indeed, I wasn't really expecting anyone to reply to this side comment about Canon.

Cheers,
Bernard