Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on January 21, 2016, 05:27:14 pm

Title: Fjordscape
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 21, 2016, 05:27:14 pm
Fjordscape (http://blog.parrikar.com/2016/01/21/icy-fjord/) - winter in Reykjarfjörður, Iceland.

Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 21, 2016, 06:50:20 pm
Stunning as always.
I hope you were bundled up in many layers. I remember how cold Iceland could get in late June. As soon as we got there we had to buy hand-knit sweaters and mittens to add to the winter coats we brought with us.

Eric
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: churly on January 21, 2016, 06:57:11 pm
Really fine shots!  The first one particularly intrigues me.
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 22, 2016, 05:06:49 am
I really like the first one, with the all the zig-zags.
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Patricia Sheley on January 22, 2016, 08:38:09 am
Rajan,

It's been an all-nighter for me here. Stopped work to light the fire in the wood furnace and took a walk, 5 degrees to watch the sun rise and de-stress. Opened these two extraordinary images.

I see the whales of our precious and threatened planet. Thank you for these. May I print out two small images?

You bring to my mind the quote from Grace Murray Hopper / "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are for."  Very much the same can be said of you as metaphor of that sentiment. Again, thank you,
Patricia
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Bob_B on January 22, 2016, 09:19:32 am
Well said, Patricia, and I concur.
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 22, 2016, 11:19:31 am
Stunning as always.
I hope you were bundled up in many layers. I remember how cold Iceland could get in late June. As soon as we got there we had to buy hand-knit sweaters and mittens to add to the winter coats we brought with us.

Eric

Eric,

Yes, layering is the key. It was both cold and blustery. That wind can get into your bones.
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 22, 2016, 11:19:52 am
Thank you, all.
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 22, 2016, 11:23:37 am
Rajan,

It's been an all-nighter for me here. Stopped work to light the fire in the wood furnace and took a walk, 5 degrees to watch the sun rise and de-stress. Opened these two extraordinary images.

I see the whales of our precious and threatened planet. Thank you for these. May I print out two small images?

You bring to my mind the quote from Grace Murray Hopper / "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are for."  Very much the same can be said of you as metaphor of that sentiment. Again, thank you,
Patricia

Patricia,

Thank you. Yes, to your question.

These images were taken handheld (tripods are useless in gusty conditions) while waiting for my plane to arrive at the nearby small airstrip in Gjögur. I had been stranded (http://blog.parrikar.com/2015/03/29/stranded-in-strandir/) after a ferocious storm had blocked the only route out. In the winter there is a flight once a week into the area and we weren't sure the plane was going to make it (I'll have some images of the approach and landing in my next post).


Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 22, 2016, 05:19:10 pm
Both really nice, but the first of the two is really very good
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: luxborealis on January 23, 2016, 06:43:47 pm
Stunning as always.
I hope you were bundled up in many layers. I remember how cold Iceland could get in late June. As soon as we got there we had to buy hand-knit sweaters and mittens to add to the winter coats we brought with us.

Eric

+1 as always!
Title: Re: Fjordscape
Post by: Sean H on January 24, 2016, 04:45:57 pm
The pictures seemed so realistic that I started shivering while watching them. Glad that you were able to take such spectacular shots.