Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Nelsonretreat on January 20, 2016, 03:39:23 pm

Title: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: Nelsonretreat on January 20, 2016, 03:39:23 pm
I live in New Zealand and wanted to get an idea of what people in other countries pay for printer service costs. I have just had my Epson 7600 serviced by the Epson dealer for a labour cost of  US$125 per hour. For comparison a master mechanic doing car service for Nissan or Ford would be charged out at around US$60 per hour here. The cost seems quite outrageous but maybe I'm not understanding something. The rate I was charged is just about the same as a law firm would charge here for basic legal work. And we all know the reputation lawyers have!
Any thoughts?
Title: Re: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: GMB on January 20, 2016, 03:49:24 pm
Pretty much the same what you pay in Belgium when you have a Canon technician come to service a large format printer.  I they charge minimum 1h + 1h for getting to your door.  And you pay VAT on top. They get away with this because they don't allow independent dealers to service their printers.
Title: Re: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 20, 2016, 04:18:49 pm
... Any thoughts?

Hire a car mechanic to fix your printer. Much cheaper. Just be prepared to hire a lawyer if it doesn't work out ;)
Title: Re: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: Les Sparks on January 20, 2016, 04:26:41 pm
Here in Durham, NC shop time for my my MGB (a few years ago) was $125/hr(don't the MGB anymore), just had my RV serviced and shop time as $175/hr, Toyota shop time $125/hr, service on my Epson 3880 printer $130/hr.
 
Title: Re: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: Paul2660 on January 20, 2016, 04:27:35 pm
Decision One is the Epson repair company in the US. They charge $120.00 an hour. Looks like your rate is similar.

Paul C
Title: Re: Outrageous Printer Service Costs
Post by: natas on January 20, 2016, 05:23:42 pm
$100-150 in the USA seems to be what I am used to.

Car's are much more widely known than printers. Not saying they aren't hard to repair, but its something more common.