Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: natas on January 20, 2016, 02:52:06 pm
-
Has anyone tried any of these new papers? Just curious what people think of them.
-
Are they available?
-
It would be interesting to see from where they are sourced, and if like the Canon Hanhemühle sourced papers, they are priced lower than the OEM ones.
But no, they are not yet available.
Brian A
-
Rolls are expected to ship end of Jan and sheets sometime in Feb, but this can surely change with Epson pushing the launch back from delays/issues.
-
We will have a video and article on these papers soon. They are very nice. I have tried all 4 surfaces and they are quite nice.
-
Just got an email from ATLEX that they have the papers.
Checking the ATLEX website they have a rolls and no cut sheets
-
Seems like all the major retailers only have rolls or small sample packs
-
the sheets are probably on the next boat ;) or Epson USA is slow converting
-
Any thoughts on what the media settings should be for the paper on and Epson 7900 and P9000 printers.
Perhaps...
- Premium Semigloss for the Legacy Baryta
- Velvet FineArt for the Legacy Fibre
I can't seem to find any information on Epson's site.
-
The Epson vendor (ShadesOfPaper.com) from who I ordered the paper sent me the media settings (Epson 9000&7000) for the Epson Legacy Baryta and Fibre papers
Legacy Baryta: media type - Premium Luster Photo Paper (260)
Legacy Fibre: media type - Watercolor Paper - Radiant White
I look forward to printing my images on these papers. The papers I've mostly used are Canson Baryta, Canson RagPhotographique and Hahnemuhle PhotoRag.
If anyone has tried these new Epson papers please post your views.
Thanks.
-c
-
Cough...Canson....Cough
-
When I get samples, I will be interested to see if these papers are rebranded offerings of well known papers. A spectral reflectance analyis should tell an awful lot. And price point whould make a whole lot of difference.
I don't know why one would choke at the Canson word, Red River I could see.
Brian A
-
When I get samples, I will be interested to see if these papers are rebranded offerings of well known papers. A spectral reflectance analyis should tell an awful lot.
And measurement data to build custom profiles of each!
-
When I get samples, I will be interested to see if these papers are rebranded offerings of well known papers. A spectral reflectance analyis should tell an awful lot. And price point whould make a whole lot of difference.
They are not rebranded version of any current paper. Epson sought out very experienced papermakers and coaters and specified the new papers from the ground up. LuLa's video, due soon will answer your question...
-
One interesting (and slightly confusing) thing I saw in an online video about the papers is that the Legacy Fibre paper is designed to work with photo black ink for deep blacks on what was referred to as a smooth matte type (?) paper.
-
They are not rebranded version of any current paper. Epson sought out very experienced papermakers and coaters and specified the new papers from the ground up. LuLa's video, due soon will answer your question...
Lots of Canson theory going on about these new Media offerings from Epson, even with Epson insiders that have had early access to these new Legacy papers. Jeff, I'm going to take you at your word here that these new Legacy media are not rebranded offering of media we already use and like, but it's a big stretch :) Tweaking something in paper production slightly in order to claim unique product (e.g., calendering of the paper core surface) is not exactly the same as producing a whole new paper/coating formulation from the ground up. Will the enduser, for example, really be able to distinguish clear differences between Epson Legacy Fibre and Canson Rag Photographique?
I'm not judging, I'm just asking ;D
best,
Mark
http://www.aardenburg-imaging.com
-
Tweaking something in paper production slightly in order to claim unique product (e.g., calendering of the paper core surface) is not exactly the same as producing a whole new paper/coating formulation from the ground up.
My understanding is it's somewhere between a simply tweak and a ground up from scratch new papers...I've seen and printed on them with the Epson P800 and I can tell you the combo is a noticeable improvement in Dmax and color gamut.
-
Can anyone explain how a matte paper can have a higher Dmax using photo black ink rather than matte black ink? I saw this on the Epson video online also....thanks, eleanor
-
My understanding is it's somewhere between a simply tweak and a ground up from scratch new papers...I've seen and printed on them with the Epson P800 and I can tell you the combo is a noticeable improvement in Dmax and color gamut.
Would be nice. Current there is an sort of inbalance between Dmax and gamut with the SC-P 7000/8000/9000.
In lower part of gamut especially the new printers show a slightly shrinked gamut compared to x900 series. Mean while the Dmax is about 0.3 more than the x900 ( 2.2 vs 2.5 or thereabout). On the max saturation levels of the colours, the results are sort of equal.
-
"Signature Worthy," now "Legacy" ... I think the marketing department is going to run out of grandiose names for their latest batch of inkjet paper.
"In collaboration with the world's greatest artists, ... This is the Art of Papermaking at its Finest." (http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Landing/pro-photo_legacy-papers_ad.do?ref=van:us-legacy-papers:ad-landing:print-your-legacy) At least no one is going to accuse the Epson marketing department of being overly modest.
One thing that I've been told by those who deal with Epson's paper department is that they try to keep the paper they sell under a single name exactly the same so that profiles remain good for the duration of that paper name. When they do decide they need to alter the specs on a paper, a new name will appear.
To Epson's credit, they do often if not usually contract with top coating and papers suppliers. They market some very good papers, but it's just inkjet paper.
(Excuse my cynicism regarding the marketing hype.)
Paul
www.PaulRoark.com
-
My understanding is it's somewhere between a simply tweak and a ground up from scratch new papers...I've seen and printed on them with the Epson P800 and I can tell you the combo is a noticeable improvement in Dmax and color gamut.
Perhaps it's similar to what HP did with Hahnemuhle when the Z3100 first came out. They worked with Hahnemuhle for a coating for Photo Rag that was specifically optimized for the HP inkset and sold as HP Hahnemuhle Smooth Fine Art Paper.
In this case its not co-branded.
-
Can anyone explain how a matte paper can have a higher Dmax using photo black ink rather than matte black ink? I saw this on the Epson video online also....thanks, eleanor
I have not seen any Dmax numbers for that paper yet so just a guess. Is the claim that this matte paper makes a better Dmax with photo black than the Dmax possible on other matte papers with either photo black or matte black ink? Then it becomes interesting as a product and harder to explain how it could work. On the other hand if the claim is just that it gives better Dmax with photo black than with matte black it could be that the matte black ink does not even penetrate the surface and stays on top in bronzing fashion, that usually does not give a high Dmax but would not indicate a superior matte paper Dmax. The less matte the surface is and the glossy black ink just below that matte surface but encapsulated would do the trick. Not to mention dye black ink behavior which can be a good thing if it does not compromise the longevity. The development of pigment and dye inks is not ended yet (nor that of the paper coatings) and there are hybrids between them where the particle size and particle structure blends the advantages of both. Next we may see blood cell behavior with amorf shapes that allow easier flowing, good penetration of the coating and ordered flat stacking in the compatible coating of an inkjet paper. This is nano scale technology.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
"Signature Worthy," now "Legacy" ... I think the marketing department is going to run out of grandiose names for their latest batch of inkjet paper.
There's always Artisan (unless it's been used for papers). ;D Unless that marketing term can now only be used in supermarkets.
-
Paul, thank you for the cynicism. I saw some advertorial piece saying it was the paper you should use for your best five images. They didn't say whether they meant the best 5 of your career ir of last week, but I suspect they are hoping people ignore that advice... unless they are going to sell cut sheets individually, or in a box of 5 as a life-time supply.
-
Hello,
I have tried to ask the Epson Business Support here (Italy) for an extimated time of distribution in Europe of the Legacy Papers.
After a phone call, two e-mail and a week delay I got finally today an "official" answer stating this: (translated from Italian)
"We were sorry to inform you that the marketing in Europe is currently not planned.
If in the future should be some good news in this regard will be our pleasure to inform you."
Ok, I'm "officially" really disappointed now...
However, I'm not convinced that they will never sell these Legacy paper in Europe, but I fear that if/when this will happen it will not be very soon for sure, at least based on this sad answer.
If some of you is able to get a different feedback, please feel free to share here, it will be really appreciated.
Thanks again,
ciao.
Andrea :)
-
Hello,
I have tried to ask the Epson Business Support here (Italy) for an extimated time of distribution in Europe of the Legacy Papers.
After a phone call, two e-mail and a week delay I got finally today an "official" answer stating this: (translated from Italian)
"We were sorry to inform you that the marketing in Europe is currently not planned.
If in the future should be some good news in this regard will be our pleasure to inform you."
Ok, I'm "officially" really disappointed now...
However, I'm not convinced that they will never sell these Legacy paper in Europe, but I fear that if/when this will happen it will not be very soon for sure, at least based on this sad answer.
If some of you is able to get a different feedback, please feel free to share here, it will be really appreciated.
Thanks again,
ciao.
Andrea :)
My paper supplier here in The Netherlands had no knowledge of the Epson Legacy papers either. I could not find any Epson EU announcement of them yet. It would be nice to receive some A4 sheets from the USA then so I can measure their spectral white for SpectrumViz. Which usually says something about their origin and might say which European distributed papers could be used as alternatives.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots
-
It would be nice to receive some A4 sheets from the USA then so I can measure their spectral white for SpectrumViz. Which usually says something about their origin and might say which European distributed papers could be used as alternatives.
Exactly,
and unluckily the sample pack (Epson Product # S450183) is still not in stock even in the US (BHphoto, Adorama, Atlex or ITsupplies just to say the first I have checked).
I'm very curious regarding these new papers but it seems I will have to wait very long before having something real in my hands to try...
Ciao,
Andrea :)
-
The Epson Legacy papers are available in Rolls Only..Currently.
My company Does Have sample packs .. and Ernest..I think they are trying to keep them from you..LOL..
My Understanding is that Sheets will be available shortly..
Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
-
My company Does Have sample packs .. and Ernest..I think they are trying to keep them from you..LOL..
Cheers
Jim Doyle
Shades Of Paper
This man will do the Photokina incognito but that is 7 months later. There used to be a time distributors offered me sheets or sample packs, from Germany, UK, USA. You might be right that the paper manufacturers rather keep the customers uninformed. It should be different for distributors with a wider choice in manufacturer catalogs, to a degree.
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
January 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots