Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jaemie on January 20, 2016, 12:27:29 pm

Title: The Color of Work
Post by: Jaemie on January 20, 2016, 12:27:29 pm
This, to me, is all about color. But, I also see this kid looking toward the offices and I think, soon enough he'll only have memories of such carefree days.



(http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53add256e4b07cf991e61afd/565d2626e4b011b065256a84/569fbfbeb20943c5200a504e/1453309891662/TAC+MOG+Offices+Kid+2+800.png)
Title: Re: The Color of Work
Post by: Bruce Cox on January 20, 2016, 01:36:27 pm
To me, this is great as far as it goes, but it doesn't go very far. 

It's good to project on, but at the cost of telling me rather little about the player or the place. 

He's on his toes though and I like the color too.
Title: Re: The Color of Work
Post by: Jaemie on January 20, 2016, 10:30:56 pm
Thank you for your comments.  :)
Title: Re: The Color of Work
Post by: brandtb on January 23, 2016, 07:26:24 am
I don't think this a very strong image, especially compared to your others. My question, what does the figure contribute to the overall? You mentioned a scenario about a "kid" but you don't actually "read" any of that from the image itself. As well, the foreground is so dark/expansive focusing the eye to an area with some nice color perhaps, but really an "unknown".
Title: Re: The Color of Work
Post by: Jaemie on January 25, 2016, 11:26:57 am
I found the contrast between the playfulness of the child (outside, colder colours) and the more adult order of the office scene (inside, warmer colours) to be interesting. The gesture of the child's step, a hesitation perhaps as he looks at the sort of milieu he will likely inhabit one day, also intrigues me. The viewer might see something very different, of course, or maybe nothing at all, in which case the photograph is, as you suggest, weak in its ability to tell a story.

But, I also enjoy the colours and geometry, and the way the warmth inside the office seems to bleed out through the windows.

Thank you for the challenging questions.