Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: dseelig on January 19, 2016, 09:26:27 pm

Title: Canon studio pro
Post by: dseelig on January 19, 2016, 09:26:27 pm
Is it just me or is this the worst software to print from ever. Every time I use it is a nightmare. Also the Canon printers seem to suck ink worse then the epsons.  .
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: rick_k on January 19, 2016, 11:26:05 pm
Can you be a little specific? You are referring to Canon Print Studio Pro?

I've used it and it does the job. I haven't seen any overly critical reviews of it.

Rick
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 20, 2016, 02:54:37 am
Maybe I'm undemanding but I find Canon Studio Pro does the job very well indeed giving me just enough control in a fairly simple manner. I have used it with non Canon papers and profiles and it seems fine. Sure some things are irritating like paper margins for some paper type selections.

Ink consumption is always depressing :( but never having had an Epson I can't comment personally but the handful of friends who have made the switch have not commented on this as a problem.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: GrahamBy on January 20, 2016, 03:27:23 am
It's you.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: Czornyj on January 20, 2016, 06:16:40 pm
In case of Canon iPF PRO-1000 connected to my rMBP15'15 it worked flawlessly.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: dseelig on January 22, 2016, 02:49:55 pm
Hi Graham
thanks for the laugh not saracaism maybe it is but I truly hate this software.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 22, 2016, 03:18:00 pm
Why? I suspect it's not the best but it does what it does well enough apart from some paper types having odd margins. I'm curious.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: dseelig on January 23, 2016, 11:05:31 pm
well mostly becuase the canon pixma pro i seems to have trouble printing through photoshop and this software seems to alwyas go back to weird defaults and I do not wnat one more piece of ____ software to learn I just want it to work like my epsons did minus them drinking ink like a vampire and blowing heads My HP Z 3200  just works in 12 years or so I have spent 3 heads 150 bucks.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 24, 2016, 02:36:39 am
Those defaults - as I recall it remembers your last choice of settings which I agree is not always helpful but quick to get used to. I have an older Canon with no vampire tendencies. It's a pity you are frustrated in this way as almost all my friends with Canon printers use Studio Pro now and are very pleased with the output.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: dgberg on January 24, 2016, 06:47:53 am
With the ease of printing through Lightroom today not sure anything else is necessary.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 24, 2016, 07:59:41 am
Assuming you use LR Dan :)

Anyway surely LR drags you back to the printer driver/profile etc as PS does?
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: Sbarroso on January 24, 2016, 11:12:08 am
I do prefer LR than Canon Studio Pro. However, for pictures that really need 16 bits printing, Canon's software is the only option (windows environment, pixma pro 1)

BTW, I find it easy to use. (after i fight a bit for the correct alignment).

Santiago
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 24, 2016, 11:18:36 am
I'm probably being dim but some paper types seem to have massive and fixed margins. I think it's the fine art set. I use a fine art paper but I can't get round the dopey margins so have to settle for matt.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: howardm on January 24, 2016, 11:42:17 am
You're not being dim. That's how the driver/firmware is.  If you select a Fine Art paper, you are forced to accept big margins.  Totally lame.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: drmike on January 24, 2016, 12:15:27 pm
And weird.
Title: Re: Canon studio pro
Post by: Mark D Segal on January 25, 2016, 09:33:12 am
Canon Print Studio Pro is essentially a handy GUI that assembles the driver functions you would most usually use for printing into one handy place. It doesn't do much that you can't do with some additional effort directly in the driver. When I tested this little application I kind of enjoyed it; not to say it's *essential*, just useful. For printing with Windows in 16 bit you need the XPS driver. The regular driver is 8 bit. With OSX you can access 16-bit printing directly in the Print Module of LR, for example. "Fine Art" Matte papers cannot be printed borderless from a Pro-1000. You can make the border small but you can't eliminate it.