Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Krug on January 19, 2016, 05:02:14 pm

Title: Reeds
Post by: Krug on January 19, 2016, 05:02:14 pm

Any thoughts or comments about / between these two versions, please ?
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: luxborealis on January 19, 2016, 05:22:16 pm
Normally I would chose B&W over colour, but in this case, the colour is slightly more engaging. The lack of a defined background is tougher on the B&W because in monotone, there is not the same three-dimensionality that, to me, is more apparent with the slightly greater tonal differences in colour.

That being said, I'm really splitting hairs here, as I'm not sure either would stand the test of time hanging on a wall.
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: DF1 on January 19, 2016, 05:28:30 pm
Normally I would chose B&W over colour, but in this case, the colour is slightly more engaging.

I concur. Color adds a needed dimension to this image. Without it, I feel it becomes a bit too minimalist.
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2016, 06:01:00 pm
Yes, to what Terry said.
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: Jaemie on January 19, 2016, 06:38:48 pm
The colour version is very good.
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: francois on January 20, 2016, 06:02:05 am
I also vote for the color version. It's a pleasing image, simple and strong.
Title: Re: Reeds
Post by: Krug on January 20, 2016, 07:38:08 pm
Thank you very much gentlemen - I agree with Terry and the others that this image would not stand up on a wall for long  - it is merely a charming miniature at best - but quite a good antidote to some of the (over processed) things I see too much?