Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2016, 09:04:52 pm

Title: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 18, 2016, 09:04:52 pm
A little different from my usual abstracts or landscapes. Taken in the Met Museum in New York.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: luxborealis on January 18, 2016, 10:08:09 pm
A little different from my usual abstracts or landscapes. Taken in the Met Museum in New York.

Brilliant! Great stories here.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Bob_B on January 19, 2016, 09:14:06 am
+1. As Terry says "brilliant".
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: francois on January 19, 2016, 09:30:13 am
Well done… I like to see people taking photos, especially in a museum!
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2016, 09:33:17 am
Thanks, Terry and Bob.
The moral is, as another thread suggests, always have a camera with you, even if it is a pocket one.

Eric
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: pegelli on January 19, 2016, 09:35:19 am
Nice!
I especially like the first one due to the position of her legs and the way her hat interacts with the painting.
The second is good, but has a bit less interplay between the different parts of the image.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: RSL on January 19, 2016, 11:28:58 am
The first one's priceless. See, Eric, street photography is fun.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 19, 2016, 12:41:53 pm
Eric,

The first one is a beauty, and in a strange way Magritte-esque.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2016, 01:14:19 pm
Thanks, everybody!

And Russ: Yes, "Street" (or even "Museum") is fun, but I find it much more difficult on the actual street (Yes, I've tried, but I won't show my attempts). In a museum you can get people from behind and the shots can still be interesting.

In the second one, I wish I had been standing (I was sitting on another bench), so that Rembrandt would show more clearly.

Yes, Russ: I should have cropped better in the camera!  ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: RSL on January 19, 2016, 05:28:37 pm
Museum is as interesting as street. Here's one from impossibly long ago.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2016, 06:02:42 pm
Nice, Russ. But weren't you just a bit tempted to crop out the mom on the right?   ;)
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 19, 2016, 11:37:11 pm
Love them, especially the first one.

The only small caveat is a slight lack of balance btw her hat and the tree. Positioning her head a bit more to the left in the painting would have worked even better. ;)

Cheers,
Bernars
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: RSL on January 20, 2016, 08:18:13 am
Nice, Russ. But weren't you just a bit tempted to crop out the mom on the right?   ;)

I was tempted, but I successfully resisted the temptation. Actually, I wish I'd pulled the frame a bit to the right to show that there was other action going on while this act of love was being carried out.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 20, 2016, 09:29:26 am
Love them, especially the first one.

The only small caveat is a slight lack of balance btw her hat and the tree. Positioning her head a bit more to the left in the painting would have worked even better. ;)

Cheers,
Bernars
Thanks, Bernard. I agree. And next time I see her I'll do what you suggest.  ;)

Cheers,

Eric
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 20, 2016, 10:09:08 am
I was tempted, but I successfully resisted the temptation. Actually, I wish I'd pulled the frame a bit to the right to show that there was other action going on while this act of love was being carried out.
I agree. And I wish I'd positioned myself a bit differently for both of mine. But I'm learning (I hope).

Eric
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 22, 2016, 12:02:29 am
Thanks, Bernard. I agree. And next time I see her I'll do what you suggest.  ;)

She may find your image online and propose a re-shoot! :)

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: BobDavid on January 22, 2016, 02:04:37 am
Vincent and Rembrandt. Great photos, Eric.
Title: Re: Pictures at an Exhibition
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 22, 2016, 04:10:34 pm
Thanks, Bob.
I wish I could take credit for the paintings.   ;)

Eric