Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on January 17, 2016, 08:56:08 pm

Title: Fozen Motion
Post by: churly on January 17, 2016, 08:56:08 pm
From slob to ice and locked in place by a quick dip in temperature.
Chuck
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 18, 2016, 01:01:00 pm
I like this very much. Sometimes, and perhaps in the case, tighter (http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=107366.0) shots work.
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: churly on January 19, 2016, 11:13:43 am
Thanks for the look-in Scott.  I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  Moving in tighter on this shot?  If so, I did try some tighter compositions but didn't find one that didn't feel abruptly cut off.
Chuck
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 19, 2016, 01:01:30 pm
I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

Crop out the bands of different ice at the top?
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 19, 2016, 01:18:25 pm
Nice shot, Chuck. I've just been shooting new ice on a nearby pond and haven't found any pattern as arresting as this one.

I can see Scott's point: cropping down a bit from the top might strengthen it (but don't tell Russ).

Eric
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: churly on January 20, 2016, 06:59:15 am
Ok I see what you mean - a bit slow here today.

I actually did frame it without the shadows and lines at the top and also tried a crop.  I kept coming back to the version I posted.  I think that is because I personally like the additional subtext offered by the top of the frame.  I know this is counter to the idea of holding the focus on the main feature and not letting it stray but as I said, I like the additional interest.  I'm sure this is a personal thing but I find it to be true of my appreciation of literature and music as well.  I guess one persons distraction is another persons intrigue.  I'm betting National Geographic won't be calling me soon.

Eric - I don't know if you have looked at the most recent installment of the discussion between Kevin and William Neill but Bill highlights a wonderful quote from Minor White.

Chuck
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 20, 2016, 09:26:24 am
I will certainly check out Kevin and William's latest. Thanks for the tip.

As for my suggested crop, I guess I've fallen into the trap I have often seen in posts on LuLa suggesting cropping. A judicious crop can often simplify a composition. But simplifying doesn't always make it better!

-Eric
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 20, 2016, 11:38:38 am
...I personally like the additional subtext offered by the top of the frame.

Me too. If I slide the image up to take away the horizontal features, the tree shadows remain, providing some additional interest. IMHO.
Title: Re: Fozen Motion
Post by: MattBurt on January 20, 2016, 12:59:52 pm
Nice shot and an interesting phenomenon! I wouldn't mind seeing it cropped but I like it as-is too.