Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: shadowblade on January 17, 2016, 11:24:12 am

Title: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 17, 2016, 11:24:12 am
Twilight in Lijiang, a mediaeval city in Yunnan, China. Intersected by numerous canals, this is one of the main thoroughfares.

Third draft of this very challenging (for multiple reasons) shot.
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 17, 2016, 11:29:38 am
Love the colors, and the balance of twilight and artificial light is great!
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 17, 2016, 07:30:27 pm
Not sure if I got the contrast/saturation/brightness just right yet. Always very difficult, since none of my wide-gamut monitors seem to reflect what other people see on their screens.

I think the streets/city lights might be a bit washed-out and need greater saturation in the yellows, while leaving the sky alone.
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: Tony Jay on January 18, 2016, 01:20:52 am
Not sure if I got the contrast/saturation/brightness just right yet. Always very difficult, since none of my wide-gamut monitors seem to reflect what other people see on their screens.

I think the streets/city lights might be a bit washed-out and need greater saturation in the yellows, while leaving the sky alone.
If you are going to print it then if you can get that right then you have succeeded.

It is a really nice shot and I do understand the issues of shooting cityscapes after dusk and also the subsequent post-processing so both shadows and highlights are believable. I think you have done a good job but for me, as mentioned above, the print is the gold-standard.

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: shadowblade on January 18, 2016, 02:53:46 am
If you are going to print it then if you can get that right then you have succeeded.

It is a really nice shot and I do understand the issues of shooting cityscapes after dusk and also the subsequent post-processing so both shadows and highlights are believable. I think you have done a good job but for me, as mentioned above, the print is the gold-standard.

Tony Jay

Getting it right in print is rarely the issue, since you have total control over the input and output. What's hard is getting it to look right on screen, since you have no control over the output device.

In this particular case, do the yellows look right to you, or do they seem a bit washed out? I'm not sure - seems to be a very fine line between undersaturation and oversaturation.
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 18, 2016, 04:51:36 am
Looks good to me, great shot.
Title: Re: Lijiang Old City, China
Post by: MattBurt on January 19, 2016, 10:39:26 am
I really like it. Very engaging. The colors look good on my freshly calibrated monitor.