Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Chairman Bill on January 17, 2016, 05:11:19 am

Title: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 17, 2016, 05:11:19 am
An ancient standing stone, more recently used as a parish boundary marker
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 17, 2016, 05:41:02 am
And a mono version
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: stamper on January 17, 2016, 05:44:27 am
The mono for me, but only by a whisker. Both are fine.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Bob_B on January 17, 2016, 08:07:37 am
B/W for me too.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 17, 2016, 09:44:12 am
B/W for me too.
And me.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 17, 2016, 10:55:04 am
And me.

B/W is a powerful abstraction but I think the colour is strong too.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 17, 2016, 01:13:04 pm
The colour version is a beauty.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 17, 2016, 01:16:12 pm
The b&w version is overly dramatic, in particular the sky, thus competing with the main point of interest: the stone.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 17, 2016, 01:37:30 pm
Well, I can't argue with masters like Rajan, Slobodan, and Scott, so I'll just say the B&W works well for those of us who are "color challenged."   ;)

-Eric
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: David Eckels on January 17, 2016, 01:46:17 pm
While I like the drama of the b/w, though in agreement with Slobodan perhaps a little too much, the subtlety in some of the colors makes for what I think is a superb image. Is it my astigmatism or is it leaning right slightly?
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 17, 2016, 03:17:13 pm
Thanks for the positive comments. I agree, the B&W version needs some more work to the sky - it clearly does overpower the standing stone.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: francois on January 18, 2016, 03:25:41 am
For once, I slightly prefer the color version (for the reason mentioned by Slobodan) but both are first-class.
Well done.
Title: Re: The White Moor Stone
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on January 18, 2016, 06:35:11 am
I like them both because they give me a very different feeling: the black&white gives the feeling of threath and impending doom while the color gives me a feeling of peaceful contemplation.