Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Stephen Girimont on January 15, 2016, 08:10:24 pm

Title: Endurance
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 15, 2016, 08:10:24 pm
(http://theintimatelandscape.com/shared_images/Endurance.jpg)

Another recent image from the James River near Richmond, VA.
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: francois on January 16, 2016, 08:27:04 am
Congrats, this one is fantastic! The exposure is very well chosen as water is neither too fuzzy nor "frozen in motion".
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Jens Peermann on January 16, 2016, 08:33:26 am
Nice detail showing the flow and smooth curves with an interesting play of light and shadow. Eye catching presentation of the subject and a pleasure to look at. I like it a lot!
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Walt Roycraft on January 16, 2016, 08:33:55 am
I really like the evocative nature of this shot. Such a sense of movement, being carried away. I do find 2 issues tho, the first being the blown out highlight in upper right area and the second is the bottom left side of the image. It is, for me, a distraction causing me to snap out of being lost in the photo and trying to figure out what is happening in that area. This may be the result of seeing it in it's small size on the monitor.
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Bob_B on January 16, 2016, 08:57:27 am
I like it, and it looks great on my monitor. Walt brought up good points, but (to me) they're not deal breakers.
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 16, 2016, 09:31:36 am
I like it, and it looks great on my monitor. Walt brought up good points, but (to me) they're not deal breakers.
I agree completely.
I interpret the lower left as turbulence from back-flow of water that has passed the dark rock. It looks natural to me.
As Francois said, the shutter speed was perfect to keep the sense of flow without going to either extreme. And the tonalities are rich.

A superb water shot.

Eric
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 16, 2016, 01:32:54 pm
I'm not sure I understand the title, but it's a great water shot. I agree that the shutter speed is very well chosen.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Endurance
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 17, 2016, 10:46:35 am
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

The title is for the rock on the left of the image standing strong against the current. I thought about naming it "Z", for the shape in the waves I see, but I try not to be too literal in my image naming.

I had to experiment with several exposures before finding the one that gave me the best water motion. I started with 2 seconds, but that blurred the water too much and reduced contrast in the waves. For this scene, 1/2 second was perfect.

This is a composite image of 4 verticals. I've discovered that it's HARD to get a good merge of a subject like this and had to go into Photoshop and work to remove a lot of disjointed seams. The combination of images may also be contributing to the look of the whitecaps.