Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: KMRennie on January 14, 2016, 06:11:38 pm

Title: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: KMRennie on January 14, 2016, 06:11:38 pm
After months of rain in Cumbria it has finally stopped but started to snow. Taken today at Walton Crags on Hadrian's Wall.

Ken
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 15, 2016, 04:08:19 am
Very nice. I really like the way the tree is leaning to the right, due to the wind.
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: marcgoldring on January 15, 2016, 06:22:10 am
I like this a lot - the light and the tree... I wonder about cropping the bottom a bit. I find the log distracting from where the limbs split toward the bottom. I was looking at this on the small screen of my laptop and saw this as a rectangular rather than square. Even still, I like this!

Marco
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: francois on January 15, 2016, 07:27:49 am
Very nice but I'm a bit bothered by the heavy vignetting, a bit too much for me. Also, you could crop out about 20% of the bottom of the frame, as Marco suggested. It would simplify the image.
That said, I like it a lot.
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: KMRennie on January 15, 2016, 08:23:11 am
Thanks for the comments. I agree with the vignette being OTT and cropping will help although I initially thought that this would be square when I shot it but it doesn't work for me as the log just appears but I will crop a bit off the bottom. Went back out before dawn this morning but a very boring sunrise and a bland blue sky but it looks as though it is about to snow so I may get some nice shots this afternoon. Unfortunately the spine race ( non stop 268 miles along the pennine way) came through yesterday and churned up the snow so a fresh fall will benefit the images. I have attached 3 of this mornings shots.

Ken
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: francois on January 15, 2016, 09:29:31 am
Those ones are great. I love the first shot and the last one also. With a dusting of snow, nice clouds and a better light, you'll be in heaven!
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: Bob_B on January 15, 2016, 09:44:36 am
The first one in the new set of three is really nice. I hope you revisit the site and take more photos. Regarding the earlier photo, as others have said, the vignetting is a bit heavy, but I like the composition.
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: polaris-14 on January 15, 2016, 01:18:08 pm
I like #2 in the new set although it could use a little more cropping at the bottom. I love the composition of the tree and the puffy cloud there.
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: MattBurt on January 15, 2016, 04:21:06 pm
I really like the compositions in the newer three. All are very pleasing to my eye with great lines.
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: stamper on January 16, 2016, 05:42:38 am
Very nice but I'm a bit bothered by the heavy vignetting, a bit too much for me. Also, you could crop out about 20% of the bottom of the frame, as Marco suggested. It would simplify the image.
That said, I like it a lot.

Wise words!
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: KMRennie on January 18, 2016, 10:37:33 am
This is the first shot re-cropped and the vignette calmed down a bit. I visited this small piece of Hadrian's Wall 5 times in the last 3 days with vastly different light conditions fortunately it is only 10 miles away so wasted journeys are at least short. The blue panorama shot Friday afternoon and the 2 trees with the scrubby foreground shot at first light on Sunday. All comments welcome
Ken
Title: Re: Stopped raining started snowing
Post by: thierrylegros396 on January 18, 2016, 12:07:46 pm
I like #2 in the new set although it could use a little more cropping at the bottom. I love the composition of the tree and the puffy cloud there.

+1

Thierry