Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Mjollnir on January 13, 2016, 02:52:46 pm

Title: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Mjollnir on January 13, 2016, 02:52:46 pm
Well, OK, technically NOT Corral de Tierra proper, rather San Benancio Canyon, but it was shot near the very top of the Loop, so it could be described as either.
 
One of the only shots at the widest angle I've ever liked from the otherwise exquisite Panasonic 7-14mm.  Shooting at the FF equiv of 14mm means being really careful (for me, at least) with every last framing detail so cropping won't be necessary, and this shot is somewhat cropped.  I usually simply never shoot this wide, so I'm selling the lens and going for the Oly 12-40/2.8 

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1462/23989156079_4ed211081d_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CxQGki)Three Trees, CDT (https://flic.kr/p/CxQGki) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: polaris-14 on January 13, 2016, 05:59:36 pm
I really like the texture on the sky and the composition of the trees is very pleasing. The B&W conversion is also very well executed. Man, I am overwhelmed even at 20mm, so this being shot at 14mm equivalent, you've done a terrific job!
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 14, 2016, 04:39:04 am
Nice patterns in trees and clouds, and good silhouettes. I think it would be more complete without the trees being cut on the left and right.
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: thierrylegros396 on January 14, 2016, 04:49:20 am
Nice patterns in trees and clouds, and good silhouettes. I think it would be more complete without the trees being cut on the left and right.

Perhaps it was not possible!

Thierry
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Mjollnir on January 14, 2016, 09:27:54 am
Nice patterns in trees and clouds, and good silhouettes. I think it would be more complete without the trees being cut on the left and right.

The problem is that there is a small hill in profile in the extreme lower right of the shot that would disrupt the even flow of the horizon line.  By cutting it out, some of the tree was lost on the right, so I tried to even it out on the left.
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: MattBurt on January 14, 2016, 11:03:02 am
Nice shot but I agree it leaves me wanting to see the edges of the trees. Fantastic clouds!
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Mjollnir on January 16, 2016, 11:49:45 am
Re-did it, w/a bit more contrast and no side cropping.  This is as wide as it gets.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1680/24302004512_b44abbe9c7_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/D2u8gN)Three Trees, CDT, no crop (https://flic.kr/p/D2u8gN) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 16, 2016, 01:24:32 pm
Certainly better on the left. I'd be happy if I'd taken it.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Mjollnir on January 16, 2016, 02:26:37 pm
Certainly better on the left. I'd be happy if I'd taken it.

Jeremy

Thanks.  One of the few places I'm still a little careless is in framing.  There's really no rush, I was using a tripod and there's just no excuse for not having done it a little better.

Maybe that little bit of asymmetry will turn out to be a positive.
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 17, 2016, 04:25:23 am
Thanks.  One of the few places I'm still a little careless is in framing.  There's really no rush, I was using a tripod and there's just no excuse for not having done it a little better.

Maybe that little bit of asymmetry will turn out to be a positive.

I'm very keen on asymmetry. Did you consider stitching, to get an even wider field of view?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: MattBurt on January 19, 2016, 06:50:09 pm
Re-did it, w/a bit more contrast and no side cropping.  This is as wide as it gets.

(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1680/24302004512_b44abbe9c7_b.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/D2u8gN)Three Trees, CDT, no crop (https://flic.kr/p/D2u8gN) by tanngrisnir3 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/87368247@N00/), on Flickr

An improvement, I think.
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: langier on January 20, 2016, 01:23:42 am
Nicely done photo!

I love my 7-14mm more than my 14-24mm due to size, weight, flare.

For many, it's a tough lens to compose, but when done right, nothing else will do, like your three-trees and sky!
Title: Re: Three Trees, Corral de Tierra
Post by: Mjollnir on January 21, 2016, 05:02:32 pm
Nicely done photo!

I love my 7-14mm more than my 14-24mm due to size, weight, flare.

For many, it's a tough lens to compose, but when done right, nothing else will do, like your three-trees and sky!

Thanks!  I'm actually about to put it up for sale, and I'm hoping I don't regret it.