Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: kevs on January 12, 2016, 09:40:07 pm

Title: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: kevs on January 12, 2016, 09:40:07 pm
I have not see anything in Photoshop since CS5. Have I missed anything great?  Is subscription worth $240 a year, year after year after year. Thanks! (any discounts for pros...?)
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: Peano on January 12, 2016, 11:59:25 pm
It depends on what you do with it. For some the cost is a bargain; for others it would be a total waste.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: TonyW on January 13, 2016, 05:23:55 am
I have not see anything in Photoshop since CS5. Have I missed anything great?  Is subscription worth $240 a year, year after year after year. Thanks! (any discounts for pros...?)
What you may have missed is new tools in CC incl ACR.  There are comparisons of version features Here (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/versions.html?PID=2159997)
Only you can decide if subscription is the way to go
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: Dale Villeponteaux on January 13, 2016, 09:19:50 am
Also, PS CC has a photographer's option which consists of PS and LR for only $9.99/mo. or roughly $120 a year rather than $240.

Regards,
Dale
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: churly on January 13, 2016, 09:33:18 am
I have really appreciated the inclusion of ACR as a filter in Photoshop and use it a lot.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: kers on January 13, 2016, 09:41:47 am
I am on Photoshop Cs6

i read :
Mercury Graphics Engine performance boosts in Healing Brush, Smart Sharpen and upsampling
Is that working well?

and
Can you still open Photoshop CC documents in Photohop CS6

Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: PeterAit on January 13, 2016, 09:44:21 am
I have not see anything in Photoshop since CS5. Have I missed anything great?  Is subscription worth $240 a year, year after year after year. Thanks! (any discounts for pros...?)

You can get both Photoshop and Lightroom for a total of $9.99 a month if you opt for the photography bundle.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: john beardsworth on January 13, 2016, 10:44:13 am
Can you still open Photoshop CC documents in Photohop CS6

You can, though there are some limitations if you use special layer features, for example. For example, CS6 wouldn't understand a Linked Smart Object.

Going back to your original question, I agree with Peano's comment "It depends on what you do with it. For some the cost is a bargain; for others it would be a total waste." So why not trial it? During the trial make a big effort to test new features like Shake Reduction, the Content Aware Fill (eg on panoramas), using Lightroom Mobile, or others listed on that comparison page (http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/photoshop/versions.html) or shown here (http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2015/06/julieannes-top-5-new-features-in-photoshop-cc-2015-and-lightroom-cc-2015.html).
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: kevs on January 13, 2016, 01:11:20 pm
Thanks guys, will look into it then...

ACR as a filter, cannot get my head around that...

I have 5 year old out box 27" imac, can it take advantage or the heavier speed things? upgrades?

What recommend to learn new items?  I LOVED, the book up to speed, as it only talked about new features, but the book discontinued.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: wmchauncey on January 13, 2016, 01:17:03 pm
Is it worth it, well let's see...how much have you got wrapped up in this ridicules hobby/profession
when you include bodies/glass/computer/whatnot?  Seems silly to worry about $120/year.
Unless your don't want to invest the time in the absurd learning curve.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: Peano on January 13, 2016, 03:33:53 pm

ACR as a filter, cannot get my head around that...

It's a plug-in, not a filter, and it installs automatically with Photoshop (or Lightroom).
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: kevs on January 13, 2016, 10:02:36 pm
It's official, I will be going subscription for PS. Coincidentally, my estimating software just sent an email today they are going subscription only! For $19 to $24 a month, depending how you pay. And that is just a $300 software who used to charge about $75 for upgrades every year or two I think.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: churly on January 14, 2016, 08:04:44 am
It's a plug-in, not a filter, and it installs automatically with Photoshop (or Lightroom).

Yes it is a plug-in but appears under the filter tab.  Like I said before, I find it very useful but then I'm not a heavy LR user working mostly from ACR and PS.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: Peano on January 14, 2016, 09:38:40 am
Yes it is a plug-in but appears under the filter tab.

As the old saying goes, kittens born in an oven still aren't biscuits.
Title: Re: Photoshop past CS5, am I missing anything great?
Post by: digitaldog on January 14, 2016, 12:36:45 pm
http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2013/06/adobe-camera-raw-as-a-filter-in-photoshop-cc.html