Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: polaris-14 on January 12, 2016, 03:02:30 pm

Title: Oriens
Post by: polaris-14 on January 12, 2016, 03:02:30 pm
I am finally back on track after the winter break.

Among shooting and traveling, I have worked on some pictures that I took the last few months of 2015. This one is particularly special to me. It is a composite of two photos: One for the landscape and another for the birds. It was such a beautiful sunrise and the trailing edge of the storm was seen in the East. I am still a little bit torn with adding the birds there. I know there are arguments against both sides. So, I would love to hear the C&C on this one.

(http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000sVbo.H8N_Dc/s/500/I0000sVbo.H8N_Dc.jpg) (http://adhika.photoshelter.com/image/I0000sVbo.H8N_Dc)

Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: Jens Peermann on January 12, 2016, 08:13:30 pm
Great timing and a nice graphic rendition. Makes a great poster.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: polaris-14 on January 13, 2016, 02:40:05 am
Thanks Jens!

I thought, I would show the canvas itself. Here are the horizontal (shot a few minutes earlier) and vertical (used in the composite) compositions of the scene.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 13, 2016, 04:35:24 am
Very good image.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: francois on January 13, 2016, 07:35:57 am
Nice composite, the sky is stupendous.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: polaris-14 on January 14, 2016, 01:23:29 pm
Thanks so much Paulo and Francois. I am really glad the image works for you.

Here is what I am still torn about, does it feel necessary to have the birds there or is it possible to just leave the sky and trees alone? Maybe in the horizontal composition (lower sun in the sky), it can.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 14, 2016, 02:52:16 pm
Here is what I am still torn about, does it feel necessary to have the birds there or is it possible to just leave the sky and trees alone? Maybe in the horizontal composition (lower sun in the sky), it can.

Is it necessary? No. Does the presence of the birds make a better image? Yes. Simple.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: polaris-14 on January 14, 2016, 04:52:05 pm
I really like that, Jeremy. Thanks for pointing that out.
Title: Re: Oriens
Post by: Bob_B on January 15, 2016, 09:56:43 am
Nice composite, the sky is stupendous.

+1