Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: John V. on January 11, 2016, 03:38:39 pm
-
Anyone have input on which companies provide the best & worst profiles for their papers? Curious to see people experiences have been given different printers/papers.
-
I have had good and bad profiles from just about every paper company, paper refactorer, and printer company. For example, the Canson profile for the Epson 3880 and Rag Photographique 210 g/m² is not good for skin tones, but the profile for Rag Photographique 310 g/m² is fine.
Brian A
-
Epson's native profiles for their own papers and drivers have improved hugely, for "pro" printers to the point that I cannot do better.
I think one can mostly safely set the printer to "printer color management" provided one does not need gamut warnings in PS.
On older printers profiling is really essential. Brute forcing the profile with one of the really large Atkinson targets is worth it if you have an autoscanning spectro.
Edmund
I have had good and bad profiles from just about every paper company, paper refactorer, and printer company. For example, the Canson profile for the Epson 3880 and Rag Photographique 210 g/m² is not good for skin tones, but the profile for Rag Photographique 310 g/m² is fine.
Brian A
-
I'm using a Canon IPF8400.
Red River and Breathing Color's profiles are spot on, no correction at all. I'm using their canvas, fine art, and gloss/semigloss paper products.
Canson's Baryta Photographique 310 profile needs +.5 EV correction.
-
I'm very satisfied with the Canson profile for Infinity Baryta Photographique 310 for my Epson R3000 (UltraChrome K3 ink).
-
The larger "professional" printers, such as the Canon iPF 8400 or Epson 9900, etc., are often built to tighter tolerances than smaller home printers. Theoretically, a profile made on one of the pro printers stands a better chance of being useful on another printer of the same model. But if a paper company makes a profile for a small printer, machine to machine differences might be great enough that moving profiles between machines will be more likely to skew the printed results.