Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jeremy Roussak on January 09, 2016, 02:17:48 pm

Title: creeper
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 09, 2016, 02:17:48 pm
Colour or b&w? (or neither?)

Jeremy
Title: Re: creeper
Post by: Zorki5 on January 09, 2016, 02:37:17 pm
Let me put it this way: if I had to choose between the two, I'd pick color. It's essentially monochrome... which BTW also means you can't make a good contrast/punchy B&W out of it using color equalizer or a similar technique.

I'd just crop it a bit (that skewed window on the right is very distracting, and blue piece of window frame at the top does not work as an"interesting color spot", unfortunately):

Title: Re: creeper
Post by: Bob_B on January 10, 2016, 08:09:40 am
Interesting shots Jeremy. I too prefer the color one, and think that cropping off the right side is a reasonable idea. To my eyes, the stucco wall is a distraction from the vines. If it were my photo, I'd try applying a brush with negative clarity to areas of the wall to reduce its local contrast. As I say, that's just my opinion.
Title: Re: creeper
Post by: brandtb on January 10, 2016, 09:49:54 am
Jeremy - I like the color version...nice framing/subject. Few thoughts. The visible window jambs on left are plumb and the one on right isn't...that's a little distracting to me....I would look at potentially correcting that in PS etc.. Also, if you had some space in orig. on left side...maybe look at it with a slice of the "stucco" visible on left side of left window jambs. /B
Title: Re: creeper
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 10, 2016, 01:40:21 pm
Topaz Impression offers interesting possibilities for this kind of image, if one is inclined to go down that path.
Title: Re: creeper
Post by: francois on January 11, 2016, 05:22:16 am
I cannot really decide… The color version may have the upper hand but not by far. Maybe you should heed Rajan's suggestion and try a slightly more artistic (lacking of a better word) processing?