Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: James Clark on January 07, 2016, 09:03:14 pm

Title: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: James Clark on January 07, 2016, 09:03:14 pm
It was an ugly day. Hazy but bright, with the sky that ugly yellow/brown smoggy color, but I had a nice vantage point and thought I'd see what I could do with it.  The bright spot in the middle isn't aesthetically ideal, but that's just the kind of day that it was.

Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 07, 2016, 09:33:51 pm
Sounds like a b&w candidate?
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: James Clark on January 07, 2016, 10:30:32 pm
Sounds like a b&w candidate?

I thought that too.   My first attempts just ended up flat with a fairly obnoxious sky on top.   You ever have one of those images that you love in concept, see interesting potential in, but know deep down just isn't very good, but you try try try to make it good anyway?   That's how I feel about this one.  I love the birds, and I love the Vegas skyline.  But the haze and the light...

Aw hell, the shot -  It's just not that good but I WANT it to be  :)

I might try really blocking up the blacks and seeing if there's a semi-abstract B&W suggestion lurking in there. 
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2016, 11:02:55 pm
I thought that too.   My first attempts just ended up flat with a fairly obnoxious sky on top.   You ever have one of those images that you love in concept, see interesting potential in, but know deep down just isn't very good, but you try try try to make it good anyway?   That's how I feel about this one.  I love the birds, and I love the Vegas skyline.  But the haze and the light...

Aw hell, the shot -  It's just not that good but I WANT it to be  :)

I might try really blocking up the blacks and seeing if there's a semi-abstract B&W suggestion lurking in there.
I'd give it at least a dozen b&w tries before giving up.
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 08, 2016, 04:16:48 am
I think it is a fine shot, with the skyline, the flock of birds, and the dramatic light.
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: francois on January 08, 2016, 05:41:39 am
Difficult light but super shot. The birds are a real plus. I'm with Eric, try a bit longer with B&W, this photo is worth it.
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: Jens Peermann on January 09, 2016, 07:21:56 am
I thought that too.   My first attempts just ended up flat with a fairly obnoxious sky on top.   You ever have one of those images that you love in concept, see interesting potential in, but know deep down just isn't very good, but you try try try to make it good anyway?   That's how I feel about this one.  I love the birds, and I love the Vegas skyline.  But the haze and the light...

Aw hell, the shot -  It's just not that good but I WANT it to be  :)

I might try really blocking up the blacks and seeing if there's a semi-abstract B&W suggestion lurking in there.


The bright spot in the center is a bit unfortunate, but that's no reason for drastic surgery. The image has a lot of personality, it conveys a mood, tells a story and even triggers a smile. Don't kill that by trying to sterilize it into a clinical rendition.
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: brianrybolt on January 09, 2016, 11:32:27 am
Dampen down the hotspot and keep it!  It's a strong image.
Brian
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: polaris-14 on January 12, 2016, 02:59:49 pm
Wow, this is really beautiful. Yeah, B&W would make this a really good image.
Title: Re: Leaving Las Vegas
Post by: sarrasani on January 12, 2016, 03:17:04 pm
fascinating composition, and a pleasure to see.
sandro