Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Rajan Parrikar on January 07, 2016, 02:35:36 pm
-
Wall of columnar basalt in Jökulgil, Iceland. From my latest blog post. (http://blog.parrikar.com/2016/01/08/golden-wall/).
-
I really like the textures in #1.
BTW where I am, in SE Queensland all the basalt is as black as night - and there is plenty to see here.
Tony Jay
-
Beautiful, particularly the first.
-
Both are interesting, #1 is art. Very nice! :)
-
Neat shots again Rajan.
All the basalt I saw in Iceland was the usual black kind. Leave it to you to find the color variant.
I gather from your blog that this is somewhere near Landmannalaugar, which certainly has lots of colorful rocks.
Eric
-
I love the first one. It's almost abstract.
-
Interesting stuff, perhaps the colour is due to alteration of the rock? Reminds me of sulphur.
-
Beautiful, particularly the first.
Agreed!
-
+1; especially the first
-
+1; especially the first
A fine abstract.
-
I really like #1 as abstract, but #2 puts it in context and is quite interesting in its own right. These are fascinating geological structures. Do birds nest on the little "shelves" flat tops of the basalt columns?
-
Thank you, all.
Nancy - yes, the second one provides context.
Eric - it is one of those 'known unknowns' (why does that phrase remind me of Rumsfeld?). There is a published photo of it in the book Fjallabak Nature Reserve (photo credited to Daníel Bergmann). Motorized access is possible into this area only once a year during the sheep roundup in Fall.
-
Paulo - this region is a marvel in Rhyolite colours. There is an unbelievable ridge (Sveinsgil) that is GREEN that unfortunately I couldn't get to. It is an arduous hike to get to it (probably technical, and beyond my ability) and it was raining, so we didn't even try.