Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Jaemie on January 07, 2016, 05:16:14 am

Title: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: Jaemie on January 07, 2016, 05:16:14 am
Lighting all those aisles.

(http://static1.squarespace.com/static/53add256e4b07cf991e61afd/565d2626e4b011b065256a84/568e385c841aba52462ccb02/1452161122657/SEA+Uwajimaya+800.png)
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: brandtb on January 07, 2016, 05:41:18 am
very nice image...color, shapes, light. I would consider bringing up "blacks/dark shadows" just a bit/fraction. /B
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: francois on January 07, 2016, 08:22:25 am
I like it a lot, the colors (especially those reds) along the strong lines really make the shot.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: Jaemie on January 07, 2016, 11:30:09 am
Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I used a Zeiss Sonnar 50/1.5 and Sony 7R and shot this through a glass window.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: drmike on January 07, 2016, 02:13:22 pm
Nice shot and colours. Are you happy with that bright Pepsi sign - it's the brightest part of the shot? Good use of material and viewpoint.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: Jaemie on January 07, 2016, 02:17:47 pm
Thank you. I think I'd prefer the photo without the Pepsi sign, but it's unavoidable I think. Maybe next time I'll run downstairs and unplug it. loll
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: drmike on January 07, 2016, 02:22:26 pm
Could you clone the blue all the way across it? The vertical whites could be cloned away or perhaps subdued if the vertical lines are required for the composition.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 07, 2016, 02:25:04 pm
Good seeing. You could easily blacken it out in post processing. The image reminds me of Gursky's "99 Cent."
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: Jaemie on January 07, 2016, 03:55:27 pm
Good seeing. You could easily blacken it out in post processing. The image reminds me of Gursky's "99 Cent."

I have a stopped-down version that is even more 99 Cent-ish, but that was just for a sharpness test. Well, I prefer the blur. 
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: drmike on January 07, 2016, 05:07:04 pm
Blur all way for me.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: MattBurt on January 14, 2016, 04:16:26 pm
I really like the repetition in this. The bokeh looks great too! The Pepsi sign does compete for attention and the photo might be better without it (however you prefer to accomplish that). But even with it I enjoy the shot. Cool.
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: John R on January 14, 2016, 06:22:12 pm
I could argue the reason Matt (along with me and others) likes it, following his use of pattern, is that the those "offending lights also fit the "pattern." And the blue of the sign is more powerful than the light itself, precisely because it slightly jolts the eye and pattern of white lights. OTOH, it is nice counterpoint to the red circular patterns. Lots to consider in this wonderful image.

JR
Title: Re: Japanese Market Lights
Post by: BernardLanguillier on January 14, 2016, 07:15:18 pm
Nice subject, I like the composition.

My only reservation is the quality of the bokeh that I find a bit disturbing considering the importance of the OoF areas in the image.

Cheers,
Bernard