Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on January 06, 2016, 06:13:54 pm

Title: Pecking Order
Post by: churly on January 06, 2016, 06:13:54 pm
Something quite different from all of the great landscapes we have been seeing.
 
I've been watching juncos engage in dominance skirmishes which generally last less than a half of a second and don't seem to result in any damage.  These were all taken at ISO 3200 in low light at 1/3000 which isn't actually fast enough so they have some technical issues but they are interesting records of what is going on during these short interactions.
Chuck
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: Bob_B on January 06, 2016, 07:42:38 pm
Nice. The second one should be called "Ninja Juncos"  ;).
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 06, 2016, 11:36:03 pm
Great set, Chuck.
The first one says it all, IMHO.

Eric
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 07, 2016, 03:50:25 am
Good series.
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: SanderKikkert on January 07, 2016, 06:16:18 am
Good stuff, I think the moments caught mitigate the importance of any technical aspects being perhaps a little less than optimal. I love this sort of photography, see this behaviour all the time in our garden too, with doves, sparrows and especialy the starlings.

Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 07, 2016, 08:57:34 am
Great set, Chuck.
The first one says it all, IMHO.

Yes, good catch.
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: thierrylegros396 on January 07, 2016, 09:01:37 am
Great set, Chuck.
The first one says it all, IMHO.

Eric

+1

Clearly the best for me.

Thierry
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: mseawell on January 07, 2016, 10:27:23 am
Can't we all just get along?  ;) Nice captures!

Mark
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 07, 2016, 01:02:18 pm
Echoing others - first one is the best.
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: churly on January 07, 2016, 06:32:43 pm
Thanks everyone for your comments.  I favor the first as well.  I was at the edge of my ability and my equipment's capability on these but it fun to try to anticipate the action.  Despite the behavior that I highlighted, I find these little snow birds delightful.  They thrive in a heavy snow storms and I've seen them rolling in the wind across a snow drift only to stand up again and start feeding without a pause.  To hold one in your hand during a rescue from the living room or of a new fledgling from a window well is for me a peak experience.
Chuck
Title: Re: Pecking Order
Post by: polaris-14 on January 12, 2016, 02:59:04 pm
Beautiful series! I really like #2, but I can't help but bothered by the softness (focus?) in that picture. So, it has to be #1.  But I hear you, these are beautiful images on their own rights.