Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: JohnBrew on January 05, 2016, 03:37:44 pm

Title: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: JohnBrew on January 05, 2016, 03:37:44 pm
I think mine has croaked - some electrical glitch. Does anyone know of any vendor with some leftover stock? Reason I ask is all my cartridges are full  :(
Thanks.
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: howardm on January 05, 2016, 06:04:53 pm
Can you be more specific about what it does or does not do?  'Glitch' isn't an overly technical term ;)
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: Wayne Fox on January 05, 2016, 08:08:44 pm
New 3880's are probably getting pretty scarce, but you might find some certified used/refurb units.
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: JohnBrew on January 06, 2016, 07:56:30 am
Howard, the LCD showed I was down to 2% on one ink and refused to print. I replaced that cartridge and still the printer refused to print. Now the LCD panel shows all cartridges as empty and naturally won't print. I'm trying again today, but If the problem continues I shall trash can the unit and get something else. BTW, Epson told me to remove all the cartridges and unplug the unit for 15 minutes and try again. Same result - no workee.
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: JohnBrew on January 06, 2016, 01:39:14 pm
I've discovered Epson has a refurbished unit available.

Update: finally got the printer to recognize new cartridge after it sat overnight. However the unit will not print an image! The LCD says the unit is ready to print, but when I send a print to the queue nothing happens. Then the unit decided a clean was in order - result cartridges now down 10%! I think this printer is fubar.
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: na goodman on January 06, 2016, 01:51:00 pm
Have you tried printing a nozzle check just from the LCD screen. If it prints a pattern then the printer is working and it's a communication between your computer and the printer. You could try removing the printer and add it back in. Before doing that you could just try rebooting the computer and see if that helps. Are you on a Mac or Windows machine?
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: JohnBrew on January 06, 2016, 04:00:59 pm
Really have no clue as to what is happening with this printer. But, for no obvious reason, it started printing this afternoon! And everything seems normal now. Must not have been holding my mouth right...
Title: Re: New Epson 3880 still available?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 06, 2016, 04:20:14 pm
Did you try a physical approach, perhaps?

(https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2477609/photos/dt091215.gif)

Jeremy