Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: [email protected] on January 05, 2016, 08:53:21 am

Title: Winter Mood
Post by: [email protected] on January 05, 2016, 08:53:21 am
Winter. Some hate it and long for never ending summer or at least spring. I may not like the cold but winter does possess a charm. The siren of silence. It makes one contemplate the land, every changing, never the same. Winter mood.

Mark
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: SanderKikkert on January 05, 2016, 08:59:48 am
As some do I too sometimes hate getting up early when it's cold, but as you show here it can be very much a rewarding activity. Love the use of the fence and the stream in the composition and the cold soft tones, nice one ! Best Regards, Sander
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: sierraman on January 05, 2016, 09:01:09 am
Nice! :) Utah?
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 05, 2016, 09:44:16 am
Sublime. How many seconds?
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Jens Peermann on January 05, 2016, 10:06:52 am
It's a nice scene, indeed, and it certainly conveys the feeling of winter. Unfortunately, the composition is not flawless. There are two lines in the foreground crossing each other, confusing the eye as to where to go. And once the viewer follows one of the two, the eye gets stopped again by a line of trees. Maybe the snow will last a little longer, giving you a chance to re-visit this scene and compose with an easy eye flow in mind.
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: mseawell on January 05, 2016, 10:53:15 am
Thanks for the comments and indeed it is Utah! Wasatch mountains close to Snowbasin ski resort and about 20 minutes from my house. As for the last comment from Jens, I hear you mate but totally disagree. I included it on purpose. I honestly don't find the crossing lines confusing. I have a couple of versions of this image from my telephoto and wide angle that I like. But hey! This is photography and I do believe to each his/her own and I do appreciate tasteful comments like yours whether you "like" the image or not.
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2016, 11:40:43 am
Nice to see total nubies starting their presence on LuLa with some excellent photography!

Oh, wait ...never mind  :)
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: MattBurt on January 05, 2016, 12:54:10 pm
Nice, I don't mind the lines either, although I wonder if they could have both come from the corners with a little change in location? Regardless it's a pleasing shot. The hoar frost and the wispy clouds really say deep winter to me.
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Chairman Bill on January 05, 2016, 01:10:04 pm
A pretty good first post. Welcome to the forum
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 05, 2016, 01:15:04 pm
I find the image full of interest. IMO the crossing lines are really good, they form an "X" that is then topped/closed by the line of trees.
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 05, 2016, 04:09:42 pm
The fence and stream crossing is one of the (many) things I really like about this image.

I'll have to add my "welcome to the forum," too and wonder whether you are a student of a former LuLa member with a suspiciously similar name. He also posted consistently great images.   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: [email protected] on January 05, 2016, 10:00:30 pm
:) I have NO clue what happened to my account! I still can't get to videos I paid for. They will figure it out.

Mark
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 05, 2016, 10:57:28 pm
:) I have NO clue what happened to my account! I still can't get to videos I paid for. They will figure it out.

Mark
They will, I'm sure. In the meantime I'm glad you have a forum account where you can post for us.

Eric
Title: Re: Winter Mood
Post by: stamper on January 06, 2016, 03:58:50 am
A very nice winter scene and the processing is first class. As to the converging lines then they make the image imo and I wouldn't alter anything.