Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: BobDavid on January 05, 2016, 12:56:37 am

Title: On Land
Post by: BobDavid on January 05, 2016, 12:56:37 am
Actus/Oly photos.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2016, 01:18:28 am
B is such a beauty! Well seen.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 05, 2016, 03:46:34 am
Love the second one.

Jeremy
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Tony Jay on January 05, 2016, 04:45:36 am
#1 has a lot going for it but I will add to the chorus and give my overall vote to #2.
Fine image!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: francois on January 05, 2016, 06:47:36 am
My vote goes to the second photo. The first one is intriguing and also works very well but the light in #2 is wonderful. The third shot doesn't do much to me.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: BobDavid on January 05, 2016, 09:16:58 am
Thanks for the feedback. I plan on re-shooting #2 as I had to set up quickly to grab it and I wish my technique had been cleaner. I'm still figuring out how to make stuff like #1 work. I'll keep playing around with the concept until I find the recipe. And #3 is a clunker. I am intrigued by the dead palm trees, but don't know yet whether to keep pursuing or move onto something else.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Michael West on January 05, 2016, 11:08:33 am
Number 2 Is wonderful.
 
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 05, 2016, 11:34:05 am
.... I'm still figuring out how to make stuff like #1 work...

I looked at that as a rather interesting and intriguing concept and I liked it. For that to work fully, everything needs to be sharp, so focus stacking perhaps?
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on January 05, 2016, 12:13:24 pm
To echo what others have said - the second one is a beauty.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: BobDavid on January 05, 2016, 12:49:46 pm
I looked at that as a rather interesting and intriguing concept and I liked it. For that to work fully, everything needs to be sharp, so focus stacking perhaps?

Exactly. I am going to start experimenting with rigging plexiglass barriers in the field to confine the moss within two planes--close enough to retain sharpness at both surfaces. Then, I may want a hint of OOF background peeking through.
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 05, 2016, 04:18:23 pm
#1 reminds me a little of Jackson Polluck's drip paintings. I just saw a fine exhibit of his stuff at MOMA in NYC today. It's well worth working on, IMHO. And it took Polluck quite a while to make his stuff look convincing.

For now, I'll echo the others: #2 is great as is.

Happy New Year, Bob!

-Eric
Title: Re: On Land
Post by: BobDavid on January 05, 2016, 05:21:10 pm
#1 reminds me a little of Jackson Polluck's drip paintings. I just saw a fine exhibit of his stuff at MOMA in NYC today. It's well worth working on, IMHO. And it took Polluck quite a while to make his stuff look convincing.

For now, I'll echo the others: #2 is great as is.

Happy New Year, Bob!

-Eric

Polluck, definitely. Per usual, good call Eric.