Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: David Anderson on January 04, 2016, 11:02:18 pm
-
Hi Everyone,
I've seen these new B+W 'high transmission' polarising filters and was wondering if anyone had used them yet ? The idea of a polariser that's 1-1.5 stops loss as opposed to 2 -3 is appealing.
New B+W Polariser. (http://https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2205&IID=10377)
Cheers.
-
Have been using one for about 6 months on a Sigma Quattro DP2 where low ISO is critical to IQ.
It does what they say. I first tried the Sigma standard polarizer which works fine, but certainly does block more light. The B+W is pricey, but without it I'd miss a lot of opportunities.
Hope this helps.
Richard
-
Cheers for your reply Richard.
I guess the good news is - if I get one, I won't be running with the crowd.. ;)
-
I have been using a similar filter from Hoya (sold as Kenko Zeta EX in Japan) for a couple of years now, works pretty well.
They are also super thin and light.
Cheers,
Bernard
-
Do these "high transmission polarizing filters" polarize as strongly as the garden variety polarizing filters?
-
Hi All,
I think Nancy asks an interesting question.
Having used both on the same camera I haven't noticed any apparent difference.
One thing I do notice on both types is that the sky can turn out way too blue. I have to be careful with that !
On a Foveon Sensor, where light transmission is limited, anything that allows the ISO to remain low is essential, so I'm pleased to have the B+W.
Richard
-
On a Foveon Sensor, where light transmission is limited, anything that allows the ISO to remain low is essential
Not wrong. I reviewed a DP-1 and it was a great camera until you touched the ISO button.
A very interesting machine.
-
For a few years now I've also used Hoya high transmission polarizers and only lose a stop of light. I couldn't believe it, at first, but they are wonderful, full polarizers.
-
...New B+W Polariser. (http://https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2205&IID=10377)
Here is the link that works:
https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2205&IID=10377
-
Nice to hear informative and respectful discourse.
Thanks everyone.
BTY: With Terry and Slobodan's endorsement, you can be really sure these high transmission polarizers are worth checking out.
Richard
-
I second Bernard choice - Kenko. Most of my filters are of that brand. Apparently, they are identical to Hoya, made by the same company, just marketed to different markets and thus significantly less expensive than Hoya.
-
Thanks for sorting the link.. ;)
-
I prefere to lose 2 or (better) 3 stops. At the beginning or end of the day, often, shooting flowing waters, the polarizer can also work like a light ND filter.
-
A less light blocking polarizer must be less light polarization.
A light source come from a perfect reflector, such as a mirror glass, is almost fully polarized, ..., the none polarized component is the transmitted, unreflective part. so a fully polarization filter would complete block the light or complete pass the light depends on the rotation of the filter.
In the normal condition, the light source is likely a uniformly mixed of all polarization orientation, the polarization would cut the light into half in terms of EM field strength. Since the light intensity is proportion to the square of EM field, the light intensity would be cut into quarter.
With the same light source the polarizer can be less light blocking and less if it has less polarization capability.
-
Hi Everyone,
I've seen these new B+W 'high transmission' polarising filters and was wondering if anyone had used them yet ? The idea of a polariser that's 1-1.5 stops loss as opposed to 2 -3 is appealing.
New B+W Polariser. (http://https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?CID=2205&IID=10377)
Cheers.
I played with one and they do perform from a light loss perspective as stated. As Bernard indicated, Hoya/Kenko have had a similar item for some years. Personally, I still prefer the look of the effect from the Nikon CPL over that of either B&W or Hoya. I know B&W filters got real popular some years ago, but I find them some of my least favorite filters.