Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Stephen Girimont on January 04, 2016, 08:40:50 pm

Title: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 04, 2016, 08:40:50 pm
Thoughts and comments?

(http://theintimatelandscape.com/shared_images/WinterSycamoreReflections.jpg)
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 05, 2016, 05:59:22 pm
50 views + 0 comments = fail

 ;)

If you don't like it, feel free to say so! I posted this in Critiques to get critiques!
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Michael West on January 05, 2016, 07:23:05 pm
50 views + 0 comments = fail

 ;)

If you don't like it, feel free to say so! I posted this in Critiques to get critiques!

I found it somewhat disturbing based soley on subjective personal experience having at one time tumbled a short way down a "simlarly treed" hilly trail camera in hand... Ilnaded on my elbows with the camera pointed lens up.   
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: luxborealis on January 05, 2016, 08:35:56 pm
This the first I've seen of this... It doesn't intrigue me, but it's a fine photograph. You don't fool us by turning it upside down, in fact I would prefer it as a true reflection with the trees upside down, rather than a reflection cum impressionist.
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Diego Pigozzo on January 07, 2016, 07:19:23 am
I kind of like it, sort of, but for personal tastes it looks "just half-cookied".

What I mean is that I don't understand if I should look to it just as a reflection shot or as a more painterly/impressionist shot.
It's not impressionist enough and yet it's a little too painterly to be a simple reflection shot.

I would try to enhance the structures in the bottom of the image.
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Stephen Girimont on January 07, 2016, 05:52:56 pm
Thanks for the comments!

I liked this scene because the ripples on the water were subtle and uneven, so some areas of the image were more distorted than others. I appreciate the suggestion to open up the shadows a bit and I've done so here. I've also flipped the image back to its original orientation to see how folks feel it compares. (I also increased the clarity a bit to give it some more punch).

Improvement or no?

(http://www.theintimatelandscape.com/shared_images/WinterSycamoreReflectionsFlipped.jpg)
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: petermfiore on January 07, 2016, 06:18:42 pm
When I think impressionism this is more of what I imagine this scene to be.
Title: Re: Winter Sycamore Reflections
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on January 07, 2016, 11:16:03 pm
I like the new, non-flipped version better than the first one you posted.
But I have to admit that I like Peter's souped up version even more. The added color still looks natural/believable to me, so it works.

Eric