Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: nma on January 03, 2016, 10:19:58 pm
-
Low tide in Stonington Maine. Thoughts ... ?
(https://landscape-gallery.smugmug.com/photos/i-XZr2vzz/0/L/i-XZr2vzz-L.jpg)
-
Nice image, beautifully processed.
-
It's a nice classical composition and it works well. I like how the foreground rocks are distributed with none cut off. Processing looks great too. Nice!
-
Very good image.
-
I like it a lot. The framing/composition and the foreground are very nicely done. My only issue - minor - is that the sky is very flat, especially on the right side of the frame.
-
nice subjects. There is a little bit of "eye wander" in foreground...you might look at it with bottom 1/3 cropped. Then it brings the boats and the typ. ME island outline into play. Was color version good?
-
I like the subject but I might work a bit more on the processing. Parts of the building seem brighter than the clear sky... should they be? Also the rectangle of sky adjacent to the right side of the building didn't seem to get the same treatment as the rest.
-
Love the composition - almost a perfect Fibonacci spiral :)
I agree with some of the others on the processing.. the building seems much crisper/punchier than the landscape. Probably the clouds account for that? Maybe the differences in light and dark of the lit areas could be more effectively rendered with some dodging and burning?
-
Nice!
BTW must be a large tidal range in these parts!
Tony Jay
-
A beautiful, classic landscape. The foreground is very nicely balanced with the background.
Beautiful processing, as well. Those wood pole glow!
This would be a wonderful print to have hanging in a home, cottage or office. Nice work!
-
This was a very useful discussion, with lots of opinions expressed in a very civilized way. I am grateful for that.
It may be useful to summarize the critiques and offer a few comments of my own:
MattBurt was very positive about the image, as were Paulo Bizarro, and francois.
Brandtb was mostly positive but pointed out that the sky was a bit weak. Of course that is true. That is the way it was. But now that it was pointed out it becomes an artistic decision; I am thinking about how to improve it and even the more important question: Should I “improve” it?
SdWilsonsCT suggested cropping the foreground. That’s a good idea. It certainly makes clearer what the subject is. This is certainly an artistic dilemma, keep the foreground or not? Two different images, I think.
James Clark and Tony Jay pointed out weaknesses in the post processing. Very perceptive and thought provoking. Successfully corrected, it might raise this image to a higher plane.
And Terry McDonald considered the image a success, for which I thank him.