Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on December 30, 2015, 10:24:38 am

Title: Dwindling river
Post by: MattBurt on December 30, 2015, 10:24:38 am
It's been subzero for almost a week, occasionally getting up to about +10F on the warmer days. Not that unusual here but it's been a couple of years since we had a cold spell like this so it is a little jarring.
The Gunnison River is freezing over and downstream there are ice dams forming which can cause flooding. Hopefully it won't flood anyone out! I like observing the patterns of how the ice forms and were the water stays flowing. Steam coming off the water is another effect I enjoy. I haven't gotten as good of a steam shot as I'd like but I'll keep trying. Sunset comes so early I haven't been off work soon enough to catch low light illuminating it.
Here's one I took from the ice last night with some distant steam. The water almost seems viscous which is a nice effect.
Pentax 645D & FA 45-85/4.5
(https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5812/23759615040_21b08b8e05_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CcyeMb)IMGP0909-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/CcyeMb) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: mvsoske on December 30, 2015, 04:25:38 pm
I like this, particularly the ripples in the water. I can feel the impending darkness and the cold.

Mark
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2015, 09:25:53 pm
I like this, particularly the ripples in the water. I can feel the impending darkness and the cold.

Mark
Ditto.
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 04, 2016, 05:37:48 am
Looks cold!
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: MattBurt on January 04, 2016, 11:37:10 am
Thanks! Yes, cold it how it was. :)
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: HSakols on January 05, 2016, 05:29:44 pm
I could spend the day just photographing ice formations.  I'm reminded why I live in California, but do miss the snow in the Rockies. 
Title: Re: Dwindling river
Post by: luxborealis on January 05, 2016, 08:43:07 pm
Ditto.

+1

The open water patterns are exquisite!