Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Richard Pearlman on December 30, 2015, 09:43:07 am

Title: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Richard Pearlman on December 30, 2015, 09:43:07 am
Yesterday, I went to the Cahaba River, looking for some good compositions with flowing water. Due to recent rain, the water level was much higher than normal, so I was not able to make the type of shot I originally envisioned. However, I did notice this tree that was in direct sunlight vs. the trees behind it in shadow. I thought that this contrast would make an interesting image. I usually do not make this type of image, so I'm unsure about my final product. Any thoughts?

Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 30, 2015, 10:03:31 am
I think it's an exceptional image. Strong separation of subject from background by means of illumination instead of bokeh. You can see detail in the background but it does not even start to compete with the tree and the river. I might have moved the tree a bit more off center, perhaps. Still, it's an outstanding job.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Stephen Girimont on December 30, 2015, 10:07:26 am
Love this kind of light and the separation it can create. Beautiful image.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: MattBurt on December 30, 2015, 10:18:29 am
I like it. I'm often on the hunt for this effect and it's one of my favorites when it's happening right.
Nice find, nice shot.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2015, 11:59:25 am
+1 to all the other comments.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Richard Pearlman on December 30, 2015, 08:08:08 pm
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on December 31, 2015, 05:07:34 am
It's beautiful. The only suggestion I'd make is to fade the visible, whitish trees in the background a little (not to the point of invisibility), so they distract less.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: stamper on December 31, 2015, 06:56:06 am
It's beautiful. The only suggestion I'd make is to fade the visible, whitish trees in the background a little (not to the point of invisibility), so they distract less.

Jeremy

Agreed.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: brandtb on December 31, 2015, 10:02:52 am
The shapes of the trees are nice especially the foreground, and the contrast/relations between warm objects in foreground the cool trees barely lit in background is as well - interesting. I'm not so sure about placing center subject "ever so slightly" off-center...if you had some more space on left side I would look at it like that - I would like to see some more room on left. I'm not sure if there is good rationale for not centering. Also, there is a noticeable transition in color (at least looking at the JPEG) from warm to cool on ground...that could me made a little less noticeable. /B
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on January 02, 2016, 03:41:43 pm
I'm not so sure about placing center subject "ever so slightly" off-center...if you had some more space on left side I would look at it like that - I would like to see some more room on left.

Interestingly (well, to me, anyway), I'd take exactly the opposite view: I'd like to see it with more background on the right, emphasising the asymmetry.

Taste, eh?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: HSakols on January 02, 2016, 03:51:14 pm
 Interesting yet subtle background. Definitely a fleeting moment.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on January 04, 2016, 05:33:59 am
Simple and beautiful.
Title: Re: Not Sure What to Think About This One
Post by: luxborealis on January 07, 2016, 07:18:56 pm
Simple and beautiful.

+1 - Very Eliot Porter.