Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Hywel on December 30, 2015, 09:42:41 am

Title: Plynlimon 2015: a visual poem
Post by: Hywel on December 30, 2015, 09:42:41 am
Hi,

On 1st January 2015 I set myself a project: document the changing seasons on the top of Plynlimon, a mountain local to me in the Cambrian range in mid-Wales.

I thought I'd try doing a video 360 degree panorama every month through the year. It sorta ballooned into a 12-month video diary come visual poem about the mountain.

If you have 20 minutes and feel like a bit of a chill-out and relax, please take a look and let me know what you think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lceUIPvaDVs

I started with a wobbly mini plastic tripod on top of the trig point; by the end of the year I was hauling the biggest tripod Gitzo would sell me plus a fluid head plus a motorized pan platform up the damn mountain to get some decent footage. Turns out Plynlimon is WINDY and that's why the footage is a bit shaky at the start! I know it is a little slow to get started too- I wanted to keep the purity of the 360 panorama concept for January, and besides I didn't have any other footage from that month and didn't want to cheat.

I know it is not BBC Nature Department quality but I had a lot of fun shooting it, including a few summer nights spent camping out at the top with the whole mountain to myself. Heaven! :-)

Cheers, Hywel

Here are a few framegrabs:

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000001.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000051.jpg")

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000067.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000073.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000082.jpg")

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000144.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000145.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000147.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000153.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000157.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000171.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000184.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000187.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000214.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000225.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000252.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000264.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000294.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000403.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000406.jpg)

(http://elegancestudios.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/frame-000421.jpg)
Title: Re: Plynlimon 2015: a visual poem
Post by: Richard Pearlman on December 30, 2015, 10:07:07 am
Other than the technical problems you mention in your post, I think that you did a phenomenal job. There are some amazing shots in that video. I do have 1 suggestion, though. I think that you could have cut the traveling shots. I assume they are there for the purpose of some kind of transition, but the constant changing of the camera position is jarring. Overall, I really like the work you did. Some more night shots would be awesome too.
Title: Re: Plynlimon 2015: a visual poem
Post by: Leszek Piotrowski on December 30, 2015, 10:23:33 pm
Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the video of this high country depicted in the changing seasons.