Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on December 28, 2015, 03:10:57 pm

Title: The runners
Post by: Bob_B on December 28, 2015, 03:10:57 pm
I had an idea that combining multiple exposure of these kids running up the trail near the Gunpowder River would convey their energy and excitement. After spending the better part of the day working on it, I have mixed feelings whether I accomplished my goal. Too cluttered? Too photoshoppy? A photo only their parents would tolerate? I'd appreciate comments and suggestions. Thank you for taking the time to look.

  Bob
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: David Eckels on December 28, 2015, 07:13:55 pm
Hi Bob, I tried this once for an NYIP assignment and ended up feeling the same way. Now I'd opt for trying a blend of an "averaged" image and the last frame of the series (Scripts>Statistics>Mean), but then because I suggested this (notice I didn't say crop), you'll get some better suggestions!  ;)
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: HSakols on December 28, 2015, 08:56:55 pm
Great image. Nice to see kiddos playing outside and developing some common sense.
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Bob_B on December 29, 2015, 08:06:42 am
...trying a blend of an "averaged" image and the last frame of the series (Scripts>Statistics>Mean)...

Thanks David. I'll give it a try.
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Bob_B on December 29, 2015, 08:10:44 am
Great image. Nice to see kiddos playing outside and developing some common sense.

Thanks Hugh. Yes, they and their dog were having a blast _outdoors_, not at a video console. (I should have posted a photo of their parents who were lagging far behind the kids. They, the parents, looked completely worn out from their trek  ;).)
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Petrus on December 29, 2015, 09:17:17 am
No wonder the parents are spent as it must be tough to raise two sets of quintuplets in the same family! And a bunch of dogs also.
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on December 29, 2015, 11:41:20 am
I would try reducing the opacity of the kids and dogs behind: the nearest at 50-75%, the next at 25-30, the third at 10-12, or some other combination. Might end up too spooky or funny though.
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 29, 2015, 01:07:23 pm
I would try reducing the opacity of the kids and dogs behind: the nearest at 50-75%, the next at 25-30, the third at 10-12, or some other combination. Might end up too spooky or funny though.
I think this would be worth a try. The image has great possibilities.
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Bob_B on December 29, 2015, 07:09:03 pm
I had tried Slobodan's idea yesterday, but had difficulties with the farthest layer, as it contained both kids and background. As originally configured, a reduction in opacity affected the entire layer. It must have been a good nights sleep, because the solution was to duplicate that layer such that the kids were on one layer and the background with kids on a second. I context-aware filled in the kids on the background, and added the suggested opacity changes. (Actually, I used the formula found here: http://www.verdantvista.com/tut9-3). The resulting image is pretty much what I had in mind. Of course, I could be (and often am) dead wrong. What do you think?

As always, thank you for looking and offering your comments.

   Bob
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 29, 2015, 07:41:59 pm
I think you are very close now. I would like to see the receding figures with a little more opacity, so they don't fade quite so much into the background.
I can't suggest how much to push the opacity slider for each, since I've never done anything like this. But I would like the "ghost" images to be a little stronger.

Just my 2 centimes.
Title: Re: The runners final version
Post by: Bob_B on December 30, 2015, 09:44:48 am
Using Eric's suggestion to increase the opacity of the 'ghosts', here is the final version of "The Runners". I want to thank all for taking the time to view my photo and offer comments and suggestions for its improvement. I greatly appreciate your replies!

  Bob
Title: Re: The runners
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 30, 2015, 12:03:23 pm
Nice!
Now be sure to pay your models well. How about ice cream cones and a bone?