Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: MattBurt on December 27, 2015, 11:58:01 pm

Title: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: MattBurt on December 27, 2015, 11:58:01 pm
It feels like Hoth anyway. This was just after sunset and the temperature was about -5F and it was very still. It's currently -15 and seems like it may keep getting colder. It's harsh but there is a beautiful stillness that comes with this weather.
The mountains in the distance make up the Continental Divide near Monarch Pass.
645D & A 200/4
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1657/23931359421_2205e7d4ed_c.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CsJtpc)IMGP0880-Edit (https://flic.kr/p/CsJtpc) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Chairman Bill on December 28, 2015, 03:25:41 am
Sublime light, nicely composed. I like the repeating horizontal lines, of grass, the fallen tree trunk, the line of trees, the hills & mountains.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on December 28, 2015, 04:03:04 am
Wonderful.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Tony Jay on December 28, 2015, 04:06:39 am
I love the soft pastels in this scene.
Delicious!

Tony Jay
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: marcgoldring on December 28, 2015, 07:01:10 am
Great. I can feel the cold...

Marco
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Bob_B on December 28, 2015, 09:13:43 am
Tranquility amidst the bitter cold, stunningly beautiful.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Mjollnir on December 28, 2015, 09:23:29 am
Well done.  Foreground fits perfectly.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: MattBurt on December 28, 2015, 10:17:06 am
Thank you all!
I'm pretty happy to be able to hit these roadside shots since I'm injured and can't get as deep into the mountains as I typically like to.
But I'm not sure I'd be going very far in these conditions. This morning's temp:
(https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1700/23999585436_b66561ab89_n.jpg) (https://flic.kr/p/CyL9BN)Good morning Hoth! (https://flic.kr/p/CyL9BN) by Matt Burt (https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattbnet/), on Flickr
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 28, 2015, 02:10:20 pm
Great light and mood.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Jens Peermann on December 28, 2015, 09:13:38 pm
Wonderful pastels and great placement of the tree as an anchor.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Colorado David on December 29, 2015, 10:32:21 am
It's beautiful, Matt.  Did you shoot that from the US285 side of the mountains?
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: MattBurt on December 29, 2015, 11:38:36 am
It's beautiful, Matt.  Did you shoot that from the US285 side of the mountains?

Thanks David (and everyone else, wow!).
No this is from US 50 just West of Gunnison looking East toward Monarch. It's a tree I have passed countless times but kind of an awkward spot to stop. I was between locations chasing the disappearing light and this is when it really seemed to pop. I figured it would be gone if I kept going to my intended destination so I put on the hazards and grabbed a few from the shoulder here.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on December 29, 2015, 01:09:01 pm
Your risk and suffering definitely provided a fine gift to us.
Title: Re: Meanwhile, on Hoth...
Post by: NancyP on December 31, 2015, 02:41:13 pm
Luscious light, thank you for a very pleasing photograph.