Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: deliberate1 on December 26, 2015, 10:16:41 am

Title: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: deliberate1 on December 26, 2015, 10:16:41 am
Friends, I would appreciate your thoughts on the canned profiles for Canson Platine. I have a trusty old Epson  7800 that has served me well for many years. I use an NEC monitor that I calibrate regularly. So, in my experience, it has the been the paper profiles that makes the difference. So canned profile or custom. If custom, did you make or buy.
Much obliged,
David
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: ErikKaffehr on December 26, 2015, 10:39:24 am
Hi,

I don't now if Canson publishes printer settings used for their profiles. Without printer settings known the profiles are of little use.

Best regards
Erik




Friends, I would appreciate your thoughts on the canned profiles for Canson Platine. I have a trusty old Epson  7800 that has served me well for many years. I use an NEC monitor that I calibrate regularly. So, in my experience, it has the been the paper profiles that makes the difference. So canned profile or custom. If custom, did you make or buy.
Much obliged,
David
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: howardm on December 26, 2015, 11:21:05 am
the recommended media setting is Lustre 260 for that paper/printer combo.

my experience is that the profiles are pretty good.  Mine are slightly 'better'.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: kjkahn on December 26, 2015, 12:04:50 pm
They provide media settings for Epson, Canon, and HP printers on this page:

http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles#I0000bad7 (http://www.canson-infinity.com/en/icc-profiles#I0000bad7)

Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: gigdagefg on December 26, 2015, 02:12:27 pm
The color byte profile for Canson platine is perfect!
Stanley
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: howardm on December 26, 2015, 04:18:46 pm
that's totally not what the OP asked. 

he wanted to know about the *Canson* made/provided profiles.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: gigdagefg on December 26, 2015, 05:15:00 pm
Oh,
Sorry HowardM
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: Jager on December 26, 2015, 07:27:27 pm
Platine Fibre Rag is one of my favorite papers and the Canson-provided profile is excellent (as their profiles are for all their papers).
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: deliberate1 on December 26, 2015, 08:52:55 pm
Gents, much obliged for the information. I will get a roll and use the canned profile. Another if I may.
Some users indicate that this paper has some surface particulates that need to be brushed off before use. If not, there will be bald spots on the print if they flake off. Is this a common phenomenon? Since the surface is reportedly fragile, I would prefer not to touch it with a brush or rag.
Regards,
David
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: Ken Doo on December 27, 2015, 12:25:07 am
David, A soft anti-static brush from Kinectronics works well to gently brush paper surfaces prior to printing.

In my experience, for older printers such as the 7800/9800, canned manufacturer profiles weren't as good and it was not unusual to see great improvements with custom profiles. With the advent of the newer printers, (in general) canned profiles have gotten to the point of being quite excellent, and where custom profile improvements are much more subtle or negligible even. My guess is that color management and profile hardware and software has improved over the years just as any other tech---allowing paper manufacturers to provide higher quality canned profiles.  If the Canson profile for the 7800 is relatively new, than I'd place bets it will be quite good.

ken
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: kers on December 27, 2015, 03:50:16 am
My experience with a Canson canned platine profile for the HPZ3100 is that my own made profile ( done with the Z3100) seemed to be better.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: Jager on December 27, 2015, 06:20:34 am
Some users indicate that this paper has some surface particulates that need to be brushed off before use. If not, there will be bald spots on the print if they flake off. Is this a common phenomenon? Since the surface is reportedly fragile, I would prefer not to touch it with a brush or rag.
Regards,
David

Some folks have reported this problem.  I never have.  But then I only use sheet paper.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: howardm on December 27, 2015, 08:06:11 am
I just use a run of the mill Alvin drafting brush followed by a blast of canned air on almost all prints.  Seems to work fine.

The surface of Platine is a bit like Creme Brulee (sp?) and when you cut it off a roll, it can generate little 'shards'
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: deliberate1 on December 27, 2015, 11:04:26 am
Very kind and helpful all.
David
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: uintaangler on December 31, 2015, 08:55:20 am
I am getting ready to make my first print using Canson Platine. Bought a 50' roll and just loaded it onto my Epson 4900.

How does one "brush" roll paper?

Is it done prior to making the print or after?

Right after or is it better to let it "dry" a bit first?

Thanks.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: Mark D Segal on December 31, 2015, 09:01:25 am
I am getting ready to make my first print using Canson Platine. Bought a 50' roll and just loaded it onto my Epson 4900.

How does one "brush" roll paper?

Is it done prior to making the print or after?

Right after or is it better to let it "dry" a bit first?

Thanks.

Obviously before - the whole idea is to keep particulates out of the print path. Use a soft brush and a light touch.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: howardm on December 31, 2015, 10:23:18 am
I always use canned air as a final pre-step to inserting the paper into the printer.  I'm guessing that it might not be the silliest thing to consider one of those really small compressors and whatever the blowgun tip they use to carefully blast the unrolled canvas or printer path.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: Richard.Wills on January 05, 2016, 01:59:25 pm
The surface of Platine is a bit like Creme Brulee (sp?) and when you cut it off a roll, it can generate little 'shards'
Perfect description. The surface shatters, no matter what blade is used (or so it seems to me). So, we try to keep the printer clean inside...
When the rolls get to less than 15', the curl starts to be noticeable, or when the humidity is too low, we see many head strikes on this paper. Best solution seems to be to let it relax on the printer before loading, and to leave 6" at the beginning of the print, which we can stick fingers onto, to hold the paper flat, and protect the heads. Seldom see strikes after the first 6".
The Canson profiles for the Canon 8400 are good, though we roll our own, because we can...

Still my favourite.
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: One Frame at a Time on January 05, 2016, 02:04:17 pm
I thought the one for the 3880 and Platine was pretty good
Title: Re: Canson profiles - your experience?
Post by: [email protected] on January 05, 2016, 02:32:05 pm
On my 3880 the Canson Profile didn't work at all: I built my own via EyeOne (800 swatches) and it works fantastically!
Cheers
Ruedi