Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Bob_B on December 23, 2015, 06:46:57 pm

Title: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: Bob_B on December 23, 2015, 06:46:57 pm
Despite the current, unseasonably warm temperature in Baltimore, last Sunday was cold enough for ice to linger throughout the day. As I hiked the serpentine grasslands of Soldiers Delight Reserve (Randallstown, MD, US), many of the small pools were ice-covered, presenting a wonderful portrait of the winter to come. Here are three from that hike. I hope you enjoy them. Please feel free to C&C. Thank you for looking,

    Bob
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: sdwilsonsct on December 23, 2015, 09:52:13 pm
For me, these work best as abstractions, so #3 works well IMO. I might try warming the white balance.
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: pluton on December 24, 2015, 01:16:15 am
The scene is well worth documenting, but I agree that #3 manages to extract more of a compositional simplicity that the others don't have.  The subject is beautiful, but visually chaotic and therein lies the eternal challenge.
Can the visual chaos somehow be made to work for the photo?  Maybe.     
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: churly on December 24, 2015, 07:51:24 am
I'm a fan of this type of shot.  They aren't as easy to do as some think.  I agree that #3 works best. 
Chuck
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: Bob_B on December 24, 2015, 08:42:18 am
Thanks to all three of you for your thoughts. I appreciate them immensely. I hope to capture more ice, if the weather around here drops below freezing (which isn't going to happen in the near future).

Best regards,

     Bob
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: Rajan Parrikar on December 25, 2015, 03:47:03 pm
#3 for me.
Title: Re: Ice on the Rocks
Post by: Bob_B on December 26, 2015, 08:31:45 am
#3 for me.

Thanks Rajan. It's unaminous, #3 is the winner.