Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: iCanvas on December 23, 2015, 12:34:30 pm

Title: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: iCanvas on December 23, 2015, 12:34:30 pm
...with a comparison between Pro 1000 and the Epson P800:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRINT/canon-pro-1000/index.htm

Gar

Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: iCanvas on December 23, 2015, 01:11:19 pm
He seems to think that both printers are equally matched. Either would be a good printer. Deeper blacks, more detail in the shadows. The Canon is quicker, but the Epson has roll paper option. Can't wait to see how Canon's wide format printers perform in comparison the the P series line.

Gar
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: jeffreybehr on December 23, 2015, 06:04:50 pm
He seems to think that both printers are equally matched. Either would be a good printer. ...
Gar

...except for the Canon's inability to print on paper longer than 24".  I've made 37" prints (on sheet paper cut from a roll) with my 3880.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Nick Walker on December 24, 2015, 04:26:12 am
Does anyone know if this printer still uses cogs to pull the paper through? I realise it employs an air feed system but would imaging this only keeps the paper flat and has nothing to do with paper transportation.

Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: GrahamBy on December 24, 2015, 06:08:40 am
I read that review and my strong impression was that he was looking for a job writing press releases for Canon. A "suck job" as I would have said in my distant youth...

I'll wait for something a bit more objective.

Not that I really have any need for an A2 printer... ho hum, it's still fun to read about toys on xmas eve :-)
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: David Anderson on December 24, 2015, 04:19:11 pm
Glass half full.
Remember when something like this was huge, not very good and 200K ?   ;)

Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: BobShaw on December 25, 2015, 05:01:26 pm
It seems to me they have finally produced a printer at a price point to compete with the 3880, being a desktop sheet feed A2 printer.
Unfortunately the 3880 has already been superceded with a P800 printer that does print on rolls, albeit with some limitations.
If my 3880 dies then the P800 still looks a better option.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Czornyj on December 26, 2015, 04:18:49 pm
It seems to me they have finally produced a printer at a price point to compete with the 3880, being a desktop sheet feed A2 printer.
Unfortunately the 3880 has already been superceded with a P800 printer that does print on rolls, albeit with some limitations.
If my 3880 dies then the P800 still looks a better option.

Printing on rolls without vacuum and trimmer doesn't sound very tempting.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 28, 2015, 12:05:13 am
...except for the Canon's inability to print on paper longer than 24".  I've made 37" prints (on sheet paper cut from a roll) with my 3880.

Odd then that I have been printing quite successfully with 25" long Red River paper on my PRO-1000. All you have to do is set a custom size.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 28, 2015, 12:17:21 am
Does anyone know if this printer still uses cogs to pull the paper through? I realise it employs an air feed system but would imaging this only keeps the paper flat and has nothing to do with paper transportation.

Hmm.. Good question. My impression is that the air feed and vacuum system is being used to move the paper through the PRO-1000, it's one reason the Fine Art Paper size restriction with the Pixma Pro-1 and PRO-10 have been removed.

Beyond that, and the slightly larger gamut of the new inks, another of the features I really appreciate with the PRO-1000 is the much improved design and organization of the user interface on the printer. Also the larger ink tanks and their location.

My feeling after working with a PRO-1000 for about seven weeks is that it really does an excellent job with black and white as well with color on gloss and semi-gloss "luster" media. I'll find out how it does with matte surfaces in a week or two.

So far the profiles provided by Canon, Red River, and Moab have been very, very good to excellent. I am attributing that to the built-in calibration system which promises a printer to printer match of within delta 2.0. That is specifically that is promised for Canon media but it looks like it is holding true for my printer with Moab and Red River media so far
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: rick_k on December 28, 2015, 12:54:34 am
Ellis - can you tell us exactly what setting values you are using to print on 25" paper? And are you able to have a print area of 16 x 24 on the 17 x 25 paper? That seems to be one of the main complaints that everyone has. That and not being able to print panos wider than 23.xx.

Thanks,

Rick
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: John Caldwell on December 28, 2015, 07:37:54 am
Are there limitations regarding use of MK media at smaller paper sizes? I recall some sort of strange limitation being discussed with a prior Canon model where calling up matte paper choices wasn't permitted for small paper sizes for, say, pre-scored greeting cards.

I'm hoping the Canon Pro-1000 printer will soon be discounted to the price range of the Epson p800, in which case, I'll be tempted to get one.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: howardm on December 28, 2015, 09:50:12 am
the carts look like they are square-ish in cross-section but pretty long and all slide in at the front bottom.  Is that right?
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 28, 2015, 04:27:13 pm
Ellis - can you tell us exactly what setting values you are using to print on 25" paper? And are you able to have a print area of 16 x 24 on the 17 x 25 paper? That seems to be one of the main complaints that everyone has. That and not being able to print panos wider than 23.xx.

Thanks,

Rick

Mea culpa.  I was mistaken.  I was going to  show a screen shot of how I enabled that i the Canon Print Studio Pro software, when I went to the appropriate window I found that while I could specify a longer media - and the print certainly will cleanly feed and print on Red River's 17x25 media -  PSP's printable area hard stop limitations are 17.008 x 23.386 inches.
Title: Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
Post by: Ellis Vener on December 28, 2015, 04:27:49 pm
the carts look like they are square-ish in cross-section but pretty long and all slide in at the front bottom.  Is that right?

THAT is correct. The ink compartment runs the length of the printer and is positioned beneath the output tray. The display o the Pro-1000 also shows the ink status.